BBC Radio4 on LW in France?

Poignard

Visit site
Anyone know if Radio 4 can still be picked up on 198 Long Wave in northwest France (Brittany)?

I can receive it in north east Quiberon Bay area. The signal to noise ratio is not good enough to enable enjoment of a play or music but I can get the shipping forecast and the news with the speaker close to my ear. That's using a cheap broadcast receiver with its own aerial.

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
Of what? LW, dubious at its best or 3/4G, better in France that the UK.

Do as you please, to be honest I'm not greatly interested in what you think or do. I was responding to a specific question by Dougal about LW reception of BBC R4 in Brittany. He wasn't asking what alternatives there were but doubtless he'll value your opinion, even if I don't.

Goldie

Visit site
Anyone know if Radio 4 can still be picked up on 198 Long Wave in northwest France (Brittany)?

Yes. We find that we can normally receive R4 LW to roughly around the Loire. Good reception in the Quiberon Bay Area but barely distinguishable in Port Joinville (Ile d’Yeu) although it may be better away from all the masts in the marina. Receiver is a 33 year old ‘domestic’ by Panasonic.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I remember quite a few years ago listening to LW waiting for the ferry from Palma Mallorca to Barcelona. I guess those days are now well gone. I also recall watching UK TV received on a small satellite dish on our motorhome in Ionion Marine in Preveza. Those days are definitely gone.