Bayliners

byron

RIP
Visit site
OK Gang. What are your thoughts on Bayliners generally. Not having ever owned one nor even had a pal who owned one I really don't know much about them other than their nicknames.
My own thoughts are that they can't be that gruesome otherwise they wouldn't sell in such large numbers world wide.

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
I have owned one and you are right. They are the "Ford" of the boating world. They are built to a price with the aim of giving lots for the money but at the cost of entry level components. So fittings, switches and general finish are generally the lower end of the market. This entry level boating makes them very popular.

Of course, the engines and drives are exactly the same as on high specification boats so there is no difference there.

We had a small bayliner for around 5 years and it was fine. The only problems we had that could be possibly attributed to "Bayliner" was a switch on the helm that fell apart and a corroded earth wire that caused the instruments to fail. Although we have moved on from the brand we still keep an eye on their range over at Bates Wharf and definitely mark them as a good option for buyers. They are currently the only real contender in the small cruiser market with the Ciera range as everyone else seems to have either gone up market (sealine, princess etc.) or dropped the European market for this sized boat (Regal, Monterey etc.)

However you have to put up with everyone looking down on you!

TrueBlue

Visit site
I have little knowledge of that type of boat as you will understand, but,
Are they not really a planning hull (top end of "semi-displacement")?
In which case they tend to skit about and not easy to control at low speeds.

Or is it just the folks (no disrespec', you understand) who own them??

rosssavage

Visit site
Worked on a few. I think they're absolutely fine, had no problems with fixtures or fittings.

Mercruiser don't make "budget" engines or drives, Jabsco don't make "budget" water / waste / bilge pumps etc etc...

The finish isn't as lustrous as more expensive brands (cabins lined quite extensively with glued on carpet etc..) but the finish looks nice and they work as well as any other brand boat.

Quite impressed with the production line style wiring looms, usually include cabling for not installed options, making later additions / mods relatively easy.

Last edited:

abraxus

Visit site
I've had a Bayliner (1990 2655) for around 15 years and have to say that I'm very happy with it. With a 9'6 beam it's around a foot wider than other boats I saw at the same length, so the cabin and cockpit space is much larger than comparable boats, with sleeping space for 6, and plenty of storage. In fact I'd have to look at upwards of 32 feet to get any noticeable improvement in space.

Given the age of the boat, and the length of time I've had it, I've had an opportunity to see what potential problems there might be, and I haven't found any significant ones. In all that time I've had only had to replace one switch that failed, and that was just because the bulb in the freshwater switch packed up; and I had to clean up the last inch of wiring to the nav lights due to a little corrosion. I replaced the factory fridge last year for a more modern one, but at 25 years old I'm not complaining; and the year before replaced the factory battery charger to accomodate a much larger bank.

Other than that, all fixtures and fitings, even the 25 year old calorifier and electric hob, are not only working fine, but still look good cosmetically. The carpet style cabin lining isn't everyone's favourite, but I actually like it, as velcro sticks to it, and so I can fix (and reposition) all sorts of things, like CO detectors, spare lighting, and tv/stereo remotes, wherever I need them.

The 5.7l Mercruiser engine and Alpha One drive are original, and serviced every couple of years. I've had no major problems with them, with the only part replaced being a starter motor a few years ago. In fact at last years service the engineer said it ran like new.

So, in 15 years ownership, I've had no major, surprise repair costs, and only the cost of servicing and any upgrades I've chosen to add.

A single engine, stern drive boat probably isn't the best for steering at slow river speeds, but it's ok once you're used to it, and would be the same whatever make of boat.

I'd have no hesitation in buying another, and would say that they offer a lot of boat for the money. As with anything though, when it comes to buying a boat, it's probably as much about the previous owner and how well they looked after it, than it is the make and model. A well looked after Bayliner is probably as good as any other, and possibly better than anything else at a similar price.

Just my opinion based on my own experience.

No Regrets

Visit site
When you consider the dreadful issues that are posted here with regard to far more expensive marques, I think Byliners are good value, attractive and functional boats.

The Petrol engine thing is not clever for Thames use, but then again, just look at the price!

Whats more, a replacement engine is literally 75% less than a Volvo unit would be (Albeit the Volvo will be more repairable and almost certainly last longer)

If you really understand Boats, you see the ugly side of Bayliners, they will never be sought after or classic designs, but do you care!?

Don't mind them...

oldgit

Visit site
Calm down its only a boat.:)

Reputation probably comes from early examples of this American product built down to a price. Bayliner were not alone in producing a boat to get you afloat on budget which was usually going to spend most of its time on a the trailer in a freshwater lakeside park someplace or in the back lot at home.
Most probably used only for holidays and breaks during hot dry weather........Almost certainly it would be sold on after a year or two for a new model.Similar situation with cars over there.
They were not built for longevity nor durability and things were maybe fine until they reached our shores.We tend to use this type of boat in a totally different way, it rains a lot here,much use would be on salt water due to our population never being far from the coast and we tend to keep things a lot longer.
Whats wrong.
Raw water cooling.
Petrol reliability.
Cabins constructed out of Fablon and Bostick.
Hulls with chine cracking.
Cabin roof so flexible that the joints leak around the plastic window frames leak.
Berths that consisted of little more than a shelf under the deck.
Have no doubt that things have improved since these problems were endemic and curiously Bayliner did build some larger boat in the 40 ft range that were totally different in construction.
However this is the legacy that,deserved or not,lingers on.
Have I ever owned one ?, No, and based purely on the examples I have been to look at in the past ,my opinion on the marque has not changed.
Any older British boat of similar age and size will have faired much better over the years and be a more sensible boat to buy under most circumstances,however there will always be a market those who place looks before practicality.
A good boat to illustrate the two contrasting concepts would be any similar sized Hardy.
I know which one would get my hard earned .
IMHO :)

Last edited:

CX54WEK

Visit site
We cruise with friends who have a Bayliner. Yes it is built to more of a budget and it does show in the fixtures, fittings and finish but their boat can do everything that ours can and cost far less.

Sulley

Visit site
I have just sold our 2005 Bayliner 285 after 4 years ownership, the only reason is because of the dogs who found the steps too steep. Yes, they are built to a price point however we thoroughly enjoyed ours and she was excellent value for money.

As others have said they are probably the Ford of boats, would I have another one, yes. We had no issues with leaks or anything else.

Make sure you get one that has been loved and cared for, engine regularly serviced and outdrive looked after inline with the schedule.

Just my opinion as an ex-owner :)

Chris_d

Visit site
Which model are you enquiring about byron?

Always liked the 2858 flybridge which would be quite a good boat for the river, especialy with the single diesel which most UK ones are.

Visit site
Not a bayliner but we started with a rinker 270 which sits between the 2655 and 2855 bayliners size wise but basically the same thing ,maybe wrong but thought all of the cheaper brands were built under the Brunswick banner ? ours was a petrol injection never failed to start but yes a pain lugging jerry cans...much cheaper to buy than the diesel versions and those thousands saved buys lots of fuel pays your money takes your choice face

CX54WEK

Visit site
Not a bayliner but we started with a rinker 270 which sits between the 2655 and 2855 bayliners size wise but basically the same thing ,maybe wrong but thought all of the cheaper brands were built under the Brunswick banner ? ours was a petrol injection never failed to start but yes a pain lugging jerry cans...much cheaper to buy than the diesel versions and those thousands saved buys lots of fuel pays your money takes your choice face

Whilst the money saved does buy a lot of fuel, the price difference still remains when it becomes time to sell on. So I have never really bought into that theory.

CX54WEK

Visit site
I'm not a buyer, I was just curious as to peoples real experiences as opposed to perceived ones.

The one thing I didn't like with a Bayliner we brought back down the Trent for a friend who had fallen ill, was the walk through screen.

Being used to the side decks on our Sealine I felt quite uncomfortable on the bow.

The bow rails felt very low as well.

Visit site
Whilst the money saved does buy a lot of fuel, the price difference still remains when it becomes time to sell on. So I have never really bought into that theory.
true but some of them are at a age/price where they have bottomed out anyway and will always be worth that as long as everything still works and is serviceable

byron

RIP
Visit site
Admit it Byron! You WANT a Binliner :p

Years ago I quite fancied their 48 footer (I think it was 48) but as it couldn't get up the Thames to me I settled for the Princess 435.
Now-a-days I am happy with my launch and may even sell that and get a dory or summat.