Bavaria

G

Has anyone evaluated the Bavaria range? How do they compare to the competition?
I'm considering a new Bavaria 300 which is cheaper than the Sealine or Fairline equivalents but wondered if I'd be better buying a used model from a more established company.
Views on the options for blowing £70000+ welcome.
Also are SeaRay and Baylinner worth a look.
Usage; 1-2 weeks cruising in the Med a few times a year and weekends for a couple with occaisional overnight guests.

G

I have recently had a look over all the bavaria range (Club de Mar, Palma) very impressive. beamy boats with a clever convertable seat arrangement. The only negative comment i have is the bathing platform is a little small and too high out of the water. We have had 3 Sea rays in the past, but I think they are too expensive, sealine a no they rock and roll too much have a look at the Italian boats, the cranchi are excellent but I do believe that the Bavaria will be a successful boat cause of its build quality and it does come from an excellent boat building stable. You only need to look at their sailing yachts to see how well they stand up to being chartered out in Palma. Best of luck PD ps if you are not buying for this season invest in a long weekend in October time and go to the Genoa boat show

G

Re: Eurozone boats cheap at the mo

Searay etc aren't as cheap as they were. Eurozone boats relatively much cheaper. Good luck.

G

Thanks for that. I didn't realise Sealine had a rolly reputation -I liked their look and layout. What about a used Fairline Targa 29 as they're supposed to have a deep V? Interesting you should mention Bavaria's sailing boats though as I was originally planning to buy one, having only sailed in the past but I've just got married and the wife dosen't see the point in spending all day zig-zagging to our destination! Still, life's about compromises which is why I'm trying to find the right boat for us to enjoy. I might well go to Genoa - do they have a much bigger selection than Southampton?

G

Re: aargh Genoa ££££

Genoa has a lovely range of boats all costing massive packet of loot. You'll end up with a 20+m boat cos the marble in the ensuite for the guest beroom is nicer with gold taps and and the there's more headroom and separate DVD in the fourth cabin.

G

Genoa is about 10 times the size of any Uk boat show, complete vast halls devoted to sports boats, seperate 20,000 sq ft buildings devoted to ribs etc. A good friend of mine, who is one of the largest uk boat distributors says"if the Uk boat buying public went to the Genoa show, they would noever buy a British Boat". The Targa are good boats but you may find them very cramped, they squeeze a lot in and there are numerous compramises made. If you intnd to boat in the Med. consider that you will have to buy in the Marina where you want to keep the boat as that may be the only way to get a mooring, in Mallorca they are gold dust. As I mentioned in Club de Mar they sell the Bavaria range, I believe it is German and they are quality, If you budget will run to it look at the Pershing, although it is expensive it is fantastic, fast, on shafts (the only type I will have) they avoid Volvos (which I always will) and they have a brilliant hull shape, they will take any sea conditions, far more than the occupants will. Happy searching & remember this is one of the best times of boating. One more thought, as the guys in C de Mar sell the Bavarias, they run a charter of sailing Bavs., you might be able to charter one from them this summer with the charter price knocked of the purchase should you bu from them