Bavaria 34

JeremyF

Visit site
Any owners / charterers / potential owners out there? Am looking to replace a share of Moody 31 with own boat. I like the Moody solid construction, but looking for a boat that doesnt slam so much , with better upwind performance than a bilge-keeler with old sails. I have a young family, and we prefer a boat that prefers being sailed reasonably level-keeled, like the Moody.

Ive read the Sailing Today puff, but whats it really like over time?
BTW, the tiny galley, does it drive cooks mad?

tony_brighton

Visit site
Ours was new this year. A coupe of points:

The Bavaria is quite a light boat and you may experience some slamming to windward in a chop. Its manageable if you adjust your speed to suit. By the same argument you will get more lean than the Moody but well within manageable proportions.

Generally under sail we have been very pleased with the performance. Upwind performance is excellent especially if you play with the backstay adjuster. Just purchased a down-wind sail at the boat show to get the best out of her.

The down-side points in the Sailing Today write-up are under-estimated:

the coachroof sides are like an ice-rink when wet - we are still looking for a suitable solution for something stick-on that doesn't look crap. Bavaria do not seem at all interested in solving this one themselves - it really needs the non-skid to be molded in so a new mold will be required.

The low boom is an issue for anyone over 5'8". Not helped by the topping lift being at the mast not led aft.

The galley is on the small side but works OK; mind you thats something the other skipper may have a better view of.

On the whole we have been very pleased exept for a couple of minor niggles associated with any new boat. Drop me an e-mail if you want to talk specifics.

andyorr

Visit site
Plymouth sailing school (QAB) have a fleet of 2 year old Bav 34s. I'm chartering one in June. I'd try one out if I was about to shell out all that dosh!

G

Re: topping lift. I've led mine aft simply by cleating off the roller jib halyard at the mast and using the thus spare companionway cleat. I'm 6ft 3 and have no problem. I've bought white non slip paint for the cabin sides but am reluctant to use it in case it looks scruffy. Starbrite's non- slip polish has proved fairly efficient.
I'm thinking about installing a windlass and would appreciate any advice.

tony_brighton

Visit site
Maybe they've changed the layout - how old is yours? My gib is already cleated off at the mast and I dont have a spare deck tidy.

Also the 6'3" thing - you have no problem because you duck or you have the boom higher. if you have it higher is it on the topping lift and if so does this destroy some of the sail shape?

chrisc

Visit site
Bit confused about the leading topping lift aft.
mine has been led back since new -as per the
fitting out instructions (in german admittedly ) that came
with boat ,or maybe it depends where it is rigged. (mine was in germany)
Boom is five foot 11" above cockpit floor (just touches my hair)
having in mast reefing I have not noticed whether the decks are slippery or
not ,never have a need to go there except when mooring,but i am about to
fit safety lines on deck -just in case.This after some guys were washed out
of the cockpit of a Bav 37 just outside Gothenburg , they all survived.

cynthia

Visit site
Got a 34 and love it. Ours too was rigged by the Germans - topper is back in the cockpit - boom is well clear of both our heads. Yes the coachroof sides are slippy - I fell once and now have the sense to avoid a second happening as the resultant bruises were very painful!

Overall we're very pleased and would change little. The galley is fine - I've often done dinner for six, but commandeer the chart table, the steps and everything else to hand!

We chartered first for a fornight (Yates Alemanes in Palma, Majorca). That's good advice - if you still like it after a fortnight all should be well. What suits us doesn't mean the rest of the world has to follow. All I can tell you is that we chartered with a pair of friends - we've both bought Bav. 34's + another friend who has sailed on one of our boats is awaiting delivery of his.

One or two problems after delivery, but what new boat hasn't? If you want more info. send an e-mail.

Happy sailing.

G

We are looking at buying the new Bavaria 32 and have read with interest the experiences of you 34 owners. It is interesting to see how Bavaria have addressed the several of the points you have raised. Better galley layout, non slip moulded cabin top surface etc but I am still at a loss to understand why the 32 is so much lighter than the 34 3750kg verses 4440kg and the ballast figure is just over 1060kg
Any thoughts as to how she will handle in a blow?
Mikejp