Bavaria 33

LinTeal

Visit site
I am considering purchasing a c 2005 Bavaria 33 and as such would appreciate any feedback from any one who has experience of them,how they sail ,
any problems to look out for etc. Most seem to be 1.8m draft.

Sadlerfin

Visit site
I have a Bavaria 30 which is the smaller version of the 33, it sails well but with a lot of leeway compared to my previous boat a Sadler 29. I've found I do need to reef early.

All in all I'm pleased with it you might like to post your message on a Bavaria owners forum http://bavariayacht.org

johnalison

Visit site
You should be able to tell from looking at the hull. Long waterline, so decent downwind and able to keep up a good cruising speed. Rather full sections and not particularly fine bow, so less good to windward. Fairly shallow forefoot, so will probably slam a bit. Mainsheet on the coachroof, so not ideal for single-handing. A bit slab-sided and probably first reef at 15kn wind. OK all round but not a racer. Well-established design, so probably few vices.

V1701

Visit site
Don't Bavs have (along with other production boat builders lest I be accused of Bav bashing, which I'm not) good vintages and less good vintages in terms of build quality? I don't know what years are seen as the good and not so good but others will...

pvb

Visit site
Don't Bavs have (along with other production boat builders lest I be accused of Bav bashing, which I'm not) good vintages and less good vintages in terms of build quality? I don't know what years are seen as the good and not so good but others will...

A 2005 boat will be fine.

Sadlerfin

Visit site
You should be able to tell from looking at the hull. Long waterline, so decent downwind and able to keep up a good cruising speed. Rather full sections and not particularly fine bow, so less good to windward. Fairly shallow forefoot, so will probably slam a bit. Mainsheet on the coachroof, so not ideal for single-handing. A bit slab-sided and probably first reef at 15kn wind. OK all round but not a racer. Well-established design, so probably few vices.
I would agree
My Bav 30 does slam due to its bow which in turn gives amazing space down below for a 31 ft boat.
Yes I have to reef at around 15kt then again at over 20-25 depending.
mainsheet arrangement allows more room in the cockpit and I do sail her singlehanded, she is not a racer she appears to sail close enough to the wind but does have leeway due to high sided design.
Build quality of the cruiser range is surprisingly good mine is a 2006 model and still looks great in the cabin.
I'm a happy owner......

jordanbasset

Visit site
I am considering purchasing a c 2005 Bavaria 33 and as such would appreciate any feedback from any one who has experience of them,how they sail ,
I had the bigger sister the Bav 38 from the same period, build quality was very good
Also a friend had a 2003 Bav 32, which I think is virtually identical to the Bav 33. He was very happy with it
Where are you looking to buy?
Have you got any your eyes on one already?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I know some one who got a very well looking after one for sale and went I say well looked after I mean just that ,
Much newer version,
even got a water maker ,.

If your interested PM me and I put you on to the owners .

Bobc

Visit site
They are absolutely fine boats. They like to be reefed early and sail better when more upright, which frankly is nicer that going along on your ear anyway. Nothing particular to look out for, just the usual wear and tear.

LinTeal

Visit site
Many thanks for the responses and for Sailaboutvics offer although focused on the c 2005 model not the more recent 33.
Surprisingly little information on them and no reviews.Looking UK to buy,preferably south coast.

iain789

Visit site
I absolutely agree with John's comments. I had a 2002 model Bav 32 and l loved her. She liked to be reefed early, and she did slam if heading into the waves, but her living accommodation was great for her size, and so was her fit out. I replaced her with a Sun Odyssey 40.3 and my feeling was that the Jeanneau sailed better, but her internal fit out quality and design was inferior to the Bavaria. I had the Bavaria up to Orkney and the Outer Hebrides several times, often in challenging conditions, and she looked after me well.

peter gibbs

Visit site
I've had a Bav 38 for 20 years and followed developments closely - as one does. There's a lot of what I call German styling in these hulls - few concessions to racy looks or sporty performance, but strong on practicality; with any kind I breeze they remain stiff and pick up their skirts. I never get mine so far heeled that water runs down the side decks - the topsides are too tall (generally true of this maque) to make that a sensible way to progress. Rudder and keels are sufficient to maintain a grip in shorter Channel seas. Also I've never broached mine either. I did change down from a 135 genoa when I bought mine to a 100% higher cut clew foresail - definitely better for pointing and more versatile in conditions even beyond 20 kn.

French styling always seemed to me to emphasise the greyhound and, although fine boats, the compromises in design vs the "German style" are heavy on marina appearance and less for comfort, storage, and that sense you want of keeping matters under control in a blow - of which I have experiences that fortify my confidence even after years.

Buying second hand - same concerns and eyes open as with any other boats, but I would be surprised if you discovered a Bav with fittings detaching from the hull or chain plates giving way.

Best of luck

PWG

Charlie P

Visit site
The Bavaria 33 is a great boat - and much bigger than other '33' foot yachts - think big 34. I have sailed one over four cruises (lent by my generous uncle) and they are quick, well mannered and comfortable. I had a B38 until 2010 which I found quite tender so I was surprised that the B33 felt much more stiff in stronger winds. I would encourage you to seek one with the bigger 29hp Volvo should you find yourself down-wind and down-tide at the wrong time of day! The yacht is also faster than you would expect - I 'marked' a Sadler 34 as I was entering Lough Sunart as a benchmark that I was sailing properly and to my surprise caught up and overtook it very quickly. I recently bought a Jeannueu SO40 but the B33 (+B37)was very much on my short-list as I was very impressed by the boat (I just needed more cabins ...growing sons!). For 'fun-per-pound-spent' you will be well served!