Bavaria 27 Sport or not ?

enterprise

Visit site
Having just enquired with BMB's main distributer I was wondering if any formites have first hand knowledge of the 27sport or have any comments to make regarding BMB in general.

I Know it's some way off but we are building a short list for southampton, trying to get some background info before we vissit.

Would appreciate comparisons & sudgestions for simmilar 27, 29 & 30 ft examples(new or nearly new) from other manufacturers that offer single diesel or twin diesel with an on the water price of under £80k.

Whitelighter

Visit site
BMB's are on the whole excellent boats. I had a 2001 model 330 and it was solidly made, with a good level of fit and finish and an excellent hull.

That said, when I went on the new 30s at LIBS I was very dissapointed with anumber of things. The cabin joinery seemed very lightweight and poorly finished. I commented on this at the time and, since it was the first boat out of the factory, might have been a little 'pre-production' so it would be certainly worth checking a later boat for improvements.

I don't know what the cockpit layout of the 27 is, but the 30s is rubbish. Small amount of crew seating and a huge semi sunpad come big loker with a rounded base which is not much use for anything. The older 29 Sport has a much better cockpit, and I would recommend going for a 29 over a 30 for use in the UK.

Generally BMB's come with a good level of kit and are well made boats. Just make sure everything is nailed down on delivery.

While considering £80k alternatives, perhaps an slightly older but bigger BMB 300 would be worth a look. Now dipping below £70k they offer a lot of space over a 29 or a 30. You might even be able to get a 2004 BMB 32 for around 80k with a decent bit of haggling, basically the same boat as a 300 but with newer lighter wood etc etc etc.

In terms of alternatives new, I doubt there is much to match the BMB on size and space. Used, a Sealine S28 comes into play as the obvious alternative.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Just had a look at the 27 on the Bavaria web site. It has the same big sunpad thingy the 30 has. For me, this is a total waste in the UK as you can't use it half the time. The older (300/330) that had a convertible rear seat/sunpad layout was much, much better and more suited to our climate.

I would seriously consider the 29 Sport that has this arrangement. I think you might find the 27 a bit cramped.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
[ QUOTE ]
consider Cranchi bit of a higher price but much better quality IMO to match top builders
i think the 30 Giada is a cracker or else look for some used model where you can save some $$$$ and have a better boat

[/ QUOTE ]
Cranchi build many fine boats but I believe that the Giada 30 is not one of them. Still, they're pretty cheap. You're far better off with a well sorted Fairline Targa 29/30 or Sealine S28.

Pete

ChartScrubba

Visit site
Well this is taking its predictable course.

DVinnel will be along in a minute to reccomend the Sealine
Dave_snelson will pop in later and back smaller Windys

Nothing really new going on here...

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
LOL Jezbanks

i do suggest Italian boats a lot, but here I was a bit in a corner LOL for the price

still when I was in Sicily last year ago I was fairly dissappointed with Bavarias as they where all coming to peaces and it was all about the 33 and 38 feet models...
but don't worry after the Italians I usually like the Norwayegian Scandinvian builders like Windy etc

I think also Scand used to have a good quality price value, he should give a look at them also
but also would consider the Sessa 30 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whitelighter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

but don't worry after the Italians I usually like the Norwayegian Scandinvian builders like Windy etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in that case all is forgiven /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I also appologise for what I am sure was pretty poor Italian!

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in that case all is forgiven /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I also appologise for what I am sure was pretty poor Italian!

[/ QUOTE ]

you should send a super deal to the guy for a Westline 340 so he forgets about the Bavaria /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif don't forget to put my % in it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

enterprise

Visit site
Yes, will probably look for late used, or poss ex demonstator, our shortlist will determine which manufacturers to focus our attention on without being sidetracked by show offers etc.

Flicking back through the mag reports & comparisons we do like the idea of a Fairline T29, but searching has found 1996-1998 examples which are on par age wise with our current sealine.

Main aim is for reliability &/or warranty so newer the better.

Essex BY have a Monteray 270 Diesel, looks interesting so will be looking at their range in more detail, any thoughts there?

Good info so far, thanks

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
[ QUOTE ]
Essex BY have a Monteray 270 Diesel, looks interesting so will be looking at their range in more detail, any thoughts there?
Good info so far, thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Monterey vs Bavaria = would go for the Bavaria at least its got a deeper V hull and it's made for real weather
construction standards are the same if not in favour for the German boat

look for other used boats in the UK like all Scandinvian builders and Italian builders as Fairline and British builds usually keep there price quite high in UK to my understanding
From my experience I also think that when a boat is over 1 or 2 year old it's all about the general maintenance the boat has been trough so I think one should consider more what he is seeing and then if interested submit a full survey for an older boat

still Mr. Jez Banks told me he is preparing a super deal for your Westline 340 which will be irresistible.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peanuts

Visit site
I just can't believe I got in before DVinnel to say that I would go for the S28, for the money you are talking about you could get a good example with all the toys and as I see you already have a S24 so to me it would be a natural step up.

Of course I stand to be corrected - and probably will

Margem

Visit site
I have a Bavaria sport 300 thje accomadation is excellent, We have had her 3 years with no truoble at all, the 300 benfits from plent of cockpit space but coverts to a massive sun pad (for the odd day!)
The thing for us is the comfort and size of berths and bathroom, both more than adequate.

wakeup

Visit site
Not in the same league space wise as the 29 & 30 but the Jeanneau Leader 805 is certainly roomier than the 27 and has cockpit seating for 8 comfortably and you could get a new one fully kitted for £80k!

Sundays_Child

Visit site

wakeup

Visit site
Hmmm I am sure they are great boats, if you can stand to look at them, very americany and a lot of design tension going on, the designer was clearly off sick when the 'design proportions' module was being run at the local tech /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif