Battery management

sanna

Visit site
We have a sailboat with a Nanni 375 HE engine (21 HP) with a 60 A alternator.
We think we need a total battery capasity of 180-200 Ah for domestic service.
It is now time to rewire and I am wondering:
Should we install a new alternator controller (regulator)?
What kind of make and why ?
Is it a good ide to replace the manual isolator switch with a split charge diode system ?

I would be thankful for any advice !

Tor G
(Oslo, Norway)

dickh

Visit site
Try www.adverc.com for a battery management system. very helpful for all things to do with battery charging - also useful website with lots of info.
Another is Sterling

dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :)

peixe

Visit site
Re: Battery management: Adverc system

This is good advice ! I have an Adverc system with a split charge diode; the Adverc box takes care of the voltage drop across the diode. Both battery banks are quickly and fully charged when the engine is run. This would never happen with the standard alternator regulator.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Adverc seems to be a good product that allows higher charge rates into batteries, but battery management is perfectly OK by manual methods. I have a similar set-up to yours, two 105 Ah domestics and one 105 Ah starter battery. Using the old-fashioned rotary 1-2-all switch has never given me any problems at all. Electronic battery management always seems something of a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

G

I have a total capacity of 400 Ah and have fitted a Sterling booster to charge thru a diode splitter. Have had no problems at all. Used to have a TWC charge controller but changed it for the Stirling unit to give me more flexibility on battery type. At present have wet batteries and can see no point in spending the money on the more up-market batteries. You will find that at the higher rates of charge the water consumption increases but this is the only downside.
I have also fitted a a Link battery monitor to check on the state of charge of both banks. If you go this route make sure that the controller senses battery voltage and it is worth thinking abaut fitting a temperature sensor also.

Regards Patric

Yacht Daina

JeremyF

Visit site
Ive a thought on a slight varient to this. I've a split diode set-up, so was considering an Adverc to deal with the 0.7v drop.

The Adverc seems a great piece of kit, but Ive shorepower at my base, so engine-based charging is less critical. Also Adverc explained that for prolonged motoring the smaller engine battery may get gassed by the Adverc, and it pays to isolate it on long runs.

My thought; why not have a switch before the splitter; normally one would leave it in standard mode, but when there hasnt been much shorepower around, simply bypass the diode and deliver 14.1v direct to the domestic bank. Any problems forseen?

<font color=blue>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=blue>