Battery Charging

G

I have a 38' tsmy, which has three batteries, one for starting each engine, and one for powering lights and domestic systems. Can anyone recommend a battery charger which I can hard wire to all three, which will charge them simultaneously from shorepower, providing a "conditioning" charge when batteries are full. I would be happy to spend up to about £125

G

If you want to keep life really simple and within £125 how about 3 Halfords type chargers and a clock timer. David

G

Ian,

I went down this route on my sailboat (sssshhh!) last season. I had two batteries, one for auxiliary and one for engine cranking. I bought a Halfords car automatic charger which purported to keep batteries on float when fully charged. Because of the voltage fluctuations at the marina the charger fried the main battery, then fried itself, and could well have caused a fire had I not caught it in time. The sight of boiling sulphuric acid motivated me to find a better solution. Eventually I used an Optimate motorcycle charger. These are fag packet size boxes, cost 42 quid and put out just 300mA - but they have a switched mode power supply and adopt to marina power variations. The tiny output is enough to keep the batteries topped up, and I've had no problems starting the diesel even at -5C these last few weeks. The Optimate will also fully charge the big deep-cycle battery from my electric outboard in about four days, then switch to float mode. Brilliant at the price.

There are a number of 'proper' shore power switch mode chargers, Mailspeed marine ( 01925 838 858 ) sell a bulkhead mount Plastimo switch mode charger with 3 outputs - max 20 amp, which should do the job properly, capacity is stated as 150-250Ah. Part number is 31537. Price is likely to be above 125 quid. The Plastimo catalogue is stuffed with useful bits and available from Mailspeed on the above number.

The Optimate chargers are available from M&P tel 08705 703 040, part no: 500 070 and there are loads of accesories for them, including permanent connections and wall mounting brackets. Optimates can charge through a cigar lighter connection, or be left connected permanently to the battery through a supplied fly-lead or croc clips. Mine has run since last August without problems, and maintains two batteries on board Glicca, paralled up through a 1/2/both switch.

Incidentally, the wind-turbine on my sailboat did not keep the batteries charged - despite other owners finding them useful hence the scuffle to find a solution.

I'd like a proper shore power installation, one day, but the Optimates work well for me - especially at the price.

Finally, to guard against the dreaded day when I arrive to find both batteries dead because some oaf has trippped the shore power breakers I keep a small petrol genset on board. (Clarke Power - about 350 quid 12v 8 amp output, or 700 watt AC.) A cheaper standby option is a battery power pack with jump leads, 70 quid from car accesory dealers or the Nauticalia catalogue I've not had to use either yet.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sue

glicca@compuserve.com

G

Thanks Sue...

Optimate is reviewed in this months Classic Boat and was one option I was looking at. My three batteries are all on seperated circuits, so I shall probably end up with three optimates. I also carry a genset, and a Clarke powerstart - nothing like a belt and braces approach if you have room! Thanks again.

G

One hesitates to recommend a third party's equipment even if it has worked well for one person. Each boat and skipper are different and have differing needs. However it seems strange that the owner of a medium sized TSDY would patronize a 'cheap' car accessory stores such as Halfords. Try the Morven/Merlin Poweramp range of chargers, which are compact, can be mounted on a bulkhead and install with blocking diodes on the bank of batteries. Regret unable to state where obtainable; there are various local agents. Try the ybw directory here as well. Hope this is helpful.

G

Eh?

The budget in the original question is 125 quid to maintain three batteries on independent circuits whilst on the berth. Three Optimates cost £126.00.

I am pleased to offer 'marinised' Optimates to readers of this forum at the special price of £325.00 each. These units are identical to 'plain Optimates' but come with a picture of a ship's wheel stuck on the box, and are eminently suitable for owners of TSDYs who do not wish to be seen patronising Halfords.

Merlin group products are at:

http://www.the-merlin-group.com/

Regards

Sue

G

Re: Why are they flat MrP? Could it be due to the size of the beer cooler perchance???

nm

G

hello Sue, quickie - so how will you start the genny if the batteries are dead??

G

You want to recharge using shore power, but why not try using solar panels.There is no cost thereafter and thus cheaper in the long run. Is this a liveaboard boat?

I got a lot of info from the West Marine catalogue Advisors section their web site

www.westmarine.com

I purchased a United Solar Flexible Solar Panel from them. You can walk (not excessively) on the panels without damage. They keep my starting battery constantly charged. Price was roughly £70.00. They also had a "Alpan" Solar Charge saver for US$37.99 roughly £25.00 which provides a maintenance charge of 80mA at 13V.

I must admit that we get a bit more sun here but solar panels do work continually in daylight. Some come with the diodes etc. The solar panels can actually provide power direct to equipment without going through a battery.

Good luck.

G

In Auastralia we use solar panels which enable us to keep our batteries charged in the day time without the motors going