Battery Chargers

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
My Princess 32 has 2 x 110Ah domestic batteries and 1 x 110 Ah starter battery. Normally domestics are charged by starboard alternator and starter by port alternator. Apart from starting my power needs are relatively light, the heaviest drain being a new Isocool fridge drawing about 4 amps when actually running. I also have a few cabin lamps and a 150watt invertor for running laptop etc. There are no heavy drain navaids.
For the first time in my boating career I find myself on a marina berth with the luxury of shore power being available.
What battery charging and mains connection gear would I need for a)charging only and b)charging and running 12v supply. I already have a mains lead, its the 'box of tricks' I need to decide on.

TonyR
boatone@boatsontheweb.com
www.boatsonthethames.co.uk

tcm

Visit site
a nd b are the same thing - you charge the batteries from the shore side and use them as before from the 12v side. Charge both batteries, but needs wastegate rectifier thingy to avoid overcharging and more reguar battery checks.

But the idea of shorepower is to use 240v things? Like irons, electric barbecues, welding kit, water heaters, coffee machines, aircon, washing machines, dishwashers, photocopiers with massive collaters and so on plus lots and lots of cockpit lights and a decent amplifier. Needs an electrician to do the wiring otherwise bang ouch sizzle.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Cant remember the name off hand. But theres a big yellow box of tricks thingy. Charges batteries all the time, no worries. Get a boaty electric bod to fit it and a ring main at the same time. A fan heater for central heating for about £20 and your cumfy.

Haydn

Boatman

Visit site
Re: Laptop

contact Adverc or sterling both companies do this sort of kit along with battery management systems, they specialize in boats. Most modern rag & stick boats have this type of system certainly mine do.