Battery cable size on a 2005 Bavaria 36

DavidGrieves

www.wsandba.co.uk
Hi

Does anybody know what size the battery cables are on a 2005 Bavaria 36. I want to put a batter monitor shunt in the -ve cable so need to get a cable made up before I go out next year. Boat is in Greece so I can't really nip down and measure it.

Do we think they are 70mm2? or a bit bigger?
Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• batery cables.PNG
    batery cables.PNG
    840.6 KB · Views: 29

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi

Does anybody know what size the battery cables are on a 2005 Bavaria 36. I want to put a batter monitor shunt in the -ve cable so need to get a cable made up before I go out next year. Boat is in Greece so I can't really nip down and measure it.

Do we think they are 70mm2? or a bit bigger?
Cheers

Dave

The existing cables will be way, way over spec' Dave. Unless yours has some every, very power hungry kit onboard, 70mm will be fine.

Cspirit

Visit site
For what it's worth, I rewired my last boat - 36ft Westerly Corsair - with 35mm (2AWG) battery cables. No probs in 20 years sailing, with three house and one engine battery and usual loads, fridge, windlass, etc

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I am also in the process of installing a battery monitor on my Dufour 365 which has two 105 Ah house batteries and a 95Ah engine battery. This thread has made me doubt the size of the cable that I have ordered. Nothing is printed on the existing cable other than BS/BM but the OD is 15.2mm which, based on Oceanflex battery cable, equates to 50mm2. No unusual loads. OK?

CORRECTION: I inadvertently wrote 15.2mm rather 13.2mm. Based on Oceanflex cable 13.0mm equates to 50mm2.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I am also in the process of installing a battery monitor on my Dufour 365 which has two 105 Ah house batteries and a 95Ah engine battery. This thread has made me doubt the size of the cable that I have ordered. Nothing is printed on the existing cable other than BS/BM but the OD is 15.2mm which, based on Oceanflex battery cable, equates to 50mm2. No unusual loads. OK?

Based on the above, 50mm will be fine.

Bavarias such as the OPs seem to have all been built using a standard wiring harness that allowed for the addition of every possible item on the extras list, so they used battery cables that were rated for the heaviest loads possible. I have yet to see one that has actually needed 95mm battery cables.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
Based on the above, 50mm will be fine.

Bavarias such as the OPs seem to have all been built using a standard wiring harness that allowed for the addition of every possible item on the extras list, so they used battery cables that were rated for the heaviest loads possible. I have yet to see one that has actually needed 95mm battery cables.
Thanks Paul. Much appreciated.