Bathtub

ecudc

Visit site
Facing probable redundancy I'm considering the prospect of giving it all up for a year or two, buying a yacht and doing a bit of long distance cruising. The only I can't bear to be without is my bath tub.

I've flicked through hundreds of layouts and have only come across 2 yachts, the Hunter 450 and 456 (both a little out of my price league) that have tubs. Does anyone know of any other yachts that have one?

bedouin

Visit site
What a question!

If you want a serious answer - a bath on a boat is a pretty useless piece of kit. No boat under 100' can carry enough fresh water to make a bath a realistic proposition unless you are in a marina (let alone the problem with heating the water) - and if you are in the marina then the shoreside facilities are a much better bet.

As a bit of lateral thinking - why not just turn off the cockpit drain seacocks and use that?

ccscott49

Visit site
You can modify any boat to take a hip bath, no problems, but I would include a water maker, because baths use a lot of water! Unless of course you intend only using it in marinas etc. The larger baths may need more thinking about, but still not really a problem, it can be used for storge when not in use. A lot of the silver yachts motor and sail had baths, I think John Bain was into baths!! As an aside, in hot climates, the dinghy makes a great bath, you can use two or three solar shower bags, to heat the water, no problems, as long as you're not shy!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ccscott49 on 04/11/2002 14:24 (server time).</FONT></P>

ccscott49

Visit site
I've not found many shoreside marina facilities in the meddy with baths, plenty in UK, but not many down here, only one in lagos marina and it never had hot water, in the 18 months I was there, even bought a plug for it, the girls liked a bath!!

billmacfarlane

Visit site
One of the Dehler range about 7 or 8 years ago offered the option of a bath but I'd be surprised if anyone chose it . The reason being of course as has already been said - water capacity.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We recently took the decision that we will dump our bath and replace it with a shower cabinet. Haven't had a sit-down bath for years and we are both fed up of climbing into the thing and standing on slippery surfaces to shower. Will save a lot of space for a bigger sink unit, too.

paulineb

Visit site
I miss it so much

That's the only thing i miss since moving onto my boat - a long soak in an oil bath, candles around, a good book, a bottle of wine and some mozart - bliss mmmmmm

Pxx

Visit site
A lot of narrowboats have them.

and there are places in the Med where water is plentifully available on the quay where you just wouldn't want to use the onshore facilities even if they exist (eg Kalamaki Marina Athens, Limin Hydra, Ermione, Navplion, Poros,etc) so if you are drawn towards bathing then a hip bath might be for you - it isn't actually the water capacity that is the problem on a yacht it's the HOT water capacity of your average calorifier. Take shower #4 and you will be rinsing off with cold(ish) even though the crew are disciplined in the wash your hair in the sink, do a body wash with the residue and then finally rinse down with clean from the showerhead regeime.

I saw a neat GRP hip-bath available for retro-fit in the chandlers at Sawley Bridge Marina nr Nottingham only a fortnight ago.

They aren't my first choice but I do see the appeal.

Steve Cronin

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
Inverted dry suit?

I think some of the bigger Nauticats have a tub, or was it only a sauna? But talking price......
But, what about a water tight overall, something like a dry suit covering arms and legs. It could have a fitting for plumbing into the pressurized water system. If it´s a tight fit the water consumption would be very low.
I can imagine myself lounging in the cockpit in one of these sipping a G&T in the marina!

claymore

Visit site
Take 1 yacht with cockpit drains.
Take two plugs to bung said drains.
Moor boat in Scottish West Coast Location - or if you wanted to be a bit more central, Eskdalemuir - both of which will give you an ample supply of bathwater.
If you choose a yacht with tiller steering you have somewhere to hang your soap on a rope - this is the only disadvantage to my plan that I can see - normally you would use your willie but it's a bit cool so you'll probably use the tiller.
Heating the bath water is quite simple if you re-route your engine exhaust through the cockpit.
If Pauline is sharing this bath with you she be wanting the candles so you'll need spray dodgers or they'll blow out.
The last time we had a bath together she wanted a load of oil in it - this made her difficult to catch so I see why she insisted on it - If you get a yacht with teak decks you could use teak oil and then you could oil two birds with one stone.
Hope this helps

regards
Claymore

Gunfleet

Visit site
Buy any old boat and keep it in Shotley - shurely the best baths in England. If you fancy long-distance cruising move house to Cape Town but still keep the boat in Shotley.

jamesjermain

Visit site
Catamarans

Baths are very easyhh to incorporate into catamarans, specially those over 35ft or so. Mosat have a large, empty section in each bow which is eitgher sealed or partially filled with foam as a collision zone and buoyancy chamber. Crating a bath-shaped hollow in the foam, lining it with a bath shaped moulding and fitting taps costs nothing in weight and makes use of otherwize dead space.

Of course, to use it, you will have to run a BIG watermaker for 12 hours, because a cat cannot possibly carry that much water, AND, you will never be able to use it at sea except in a flat calm because of what it will do to the balance of the boat and its performance.

JJ

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
Lin and Larry Pardy have a design for a foldaway tub, that they use in their 27ft yacht.

Try and get hold of a copy of 'Cost Conscious Cruiser' or 'Self Sufficient Sailor'. I think both give details of the design. I also believe that they have a video out that shows the design. Have a look on the ybw bookstore site and search under 'Lin and Larry Pardy'.

Hope that helps?

Wayne

chas

Visit site
If you have a bunk with lockers under, you could join up all the lockers and convert the area into a bath, which then could be neatly hidden under the bunk when not in use.

It has the added advantage of being able to use the lee cloths to keep you in when you are bathing under way.

ghostwriter

Visit site
that is no lateral thinking anymore Bedders , check that Discovery yacht that was recently launched , they just did that
o tempora , o mores , where have the days gone when a bucket of water and an iron brush was all we needed ?

dk

Visit site
Yep, the Discovery uses the space behind the wheel as a hot tub/spa bath. The water can be salt or fresh, heated by the titanium calorifier, and there is a pump & nozzles to liven things up a bit!

heerenleed

www.heerenleed.com
Don\'t listen

to anyone who tells you you need a lot of water.
I'v known a man who had a tub in his 35-footer. All het needed to fill the tub was a cup of hot water. Honestly....

He did weigh some 120 kilos though...

Peter a/b SV Heerenleed, Steenbergen, Netherlands