Barton Boom Strutt

Dutch01527

Visit site
I stumbled across a used Barton Boom Strut on eBay and bought it for £80. I figured that not needing a topping lift would be a convenience when short handed.

Fitted it this weekend and must say that I am impressed by the engineering. Took about 2 hours to fit including drilling and tapping a new fixing point for my kicking strap that had to be moved aft on the boom and have a cascade system introduced to give extra leverage.

The fibre glass rods are really strong, they do not bend when stood on, despite my 19 stone weight, but bend when the main sheet and/or kicker is pulled on by hand. Let go of the main sheet / kicker and the boom pops up 12 inches, ideal to raise main or reef.

Last edited:

scrambledegg

Visit site
What has stopped me from going down the route of a boom strut is that when I stow the mainsail (no lazyjacks) I rely on the boom being held very firmly in place by the combination of mainsheet and topping lift both being tensioned hard. Then when the boat is rolling around in a lively manner, as it sometimes unavoidably is, I can cling to the boom to not be flung off the coachroof.
I was wondering what your (or, anyone else's) experience is of mainsail stowage with strut but without lazyjacks or topping lift?

Last edited:

jaypea

Visit site
What has stopped me from going down the route of a boom strut is that when I stow the mainsail (no lazyjacks) I rely on the boom being held very firmly in place by the combination of mainsheet and topping lift both being tensioned hard. Then when the boat is rolling around in a lively manner, as it sometimes unavoidably is, I can cling to the boom to not be flung off the coachroof.
I was wondering what your (or, anyone else's) experience is of mainsail stowage with strut but without lazyjacks or topping lift?

My Beneteau First20 has precisely that arrangement.
I really like the Strut for all the reasons previously noted, but the downside, if it can be called that, is that when gathering sail to fit sail ties in a bumpy sea state, it gives a bit under pressure of your weight. It is sometimes just necessary to cling on until you can regain your balance.
If I was happy with a fitted topping lift arrangement, I doubt I'd change to the BS.
As far as the First20 is concerned, the potential 'bouncing around' is well worth it for the benefits of the strut.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've had a Barton boo strut for several years now, excellent piece of kit, nice and simple and I also fitted a cascade system for tightening the kicking strap, very quick. I did have a strut snap after about 3 years but I sent it back to Barton and they replaced the pair FOC. I now make sure I don't leave it tensioned when leaving the boat.