BARNACLES....WHY?

colvic

Visit site
Having just had the boat lifted I am yet again amazed as to how thick and heavy the growth of Barnacles is on the rudder, prop and steel bottom of the long keel, whilst the fibre glass hull itself was virtually free of them. The incrustation was so thick that it required a hammer and chisel to remove them.

This has happened on the East coast, the South coast and in the Med, and with three different types of antifouling.

Any one any ideas or do they just prefer cold steel to warmer fibre glass?

Thanks

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Strange but true, I have notice the same on my keels which are steel, but also on the rudder but thats fibreglass. The prop is highly polished and coated with lanocote so no barnicles stick to this. The answer is depth of water, temperature and turbulance the barnicles like areas of turbulance for food supply also non uniform surfaces. Once barnicles start they attract others as they also cause tubulance and something to stick onto. Another effect is the tendency for the hull to be covered in fine silt I am sure this also helps keep them off.
All the best,
Trevor

gtuson

Visit site
Dont have the answer, but was puzzled last year that my steel hull developed barnacle encrustation despite antifouling. I put it down to being on drying mud berth for three months, but thats pure guess work. I have'nt looked yet to see if returned since i scraped them off last summer

G

Barnacles are filter-feeders, they've got this adapted feet they are sticking out of the "mouth" on top to capture whatever is passing by means of plankton. And guess where water and plankton is passing at higher speed on the hull...?

My boat is only a 23' double ender with the rudder and so I'm able to reach the worst places with a stiff brush. The antifouling isnt that poisonous these days and I have to get the boat up in the autumn to clean it up, if it is supposed to stay out during the early winter... The barnacles spawn during summer, and the larvae tries to stick to places with a lot of "current", and they're there in millions... Only a bit of algae growth or whatever is required, and the barnacle larvaes will survive the antifouling pesticide.

greetings,

Brox

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Paul,

Hi, Lanocote is made by Lanocote Mauufacturers Ltd, it contains Lanolin and is a liquid which is painted on to prevent corrossion, it is available from chandlers I purchased mine from Fairway Marine chandlers Burnham-on-Crouch, Essex.
You can also apply Lanolin to a prop which is also very effective.
All the best.
Trevor

Other threads that may be of interest