Barnacles on Log

G

I am sure many of you have encountered this problem, I had a thought when last cleaning barnacles from the paddle wheels of my log, this is obviously very annoying as I have to dry out to do it, or subsequently be prepared to mop up a few litres of water.

The thought was this"If the little bastards cant stick to the wheel, then it will work continuously" so I thought of putting waterproof grease on the wheel fins and body. So after Morrigh's usual long winded intro, has anybody done the same thing and what were the results!!

robp

Visit site
Can't you keep a suitable "bung" handy to plug up the hull? More than a week and I have to do it. Wife's always complaining about her gritty toothbrush!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Silicone grease (look for it in plumbers shops) is the only proper waterproof grease, although I don't know if it will stop the little buggers.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Practise withdrawal

Mine own vessel has trailing log so no problem, but on the yacht which I crewed for 15 years part of the closing down check list was 'withdraw impellers'. They were removed and the holes sealed with captive screw caps. The last but one item on the check list was 'pump bilge'!

davel

Visit site
I have a Raytheon instrument set up which includes a through hull, paddle wheel log. The unit unscrews for removal and cleaning and is supplied with a suitable bung that screws in place of the wheeled sender. I therefore always remove the wheel and fit the bung when I leave the boat and reverse the process when I go back. It takes no more than 30 seconds. The clever bit is that the through hull fitting has a flap that closes as one unit is removed (wheel or bung) and re-opens when the alternate is inserted. This means that the water ingress when swopping over is reduced to only a trickle.

rex_seadog

Visit site
On the River Dart my paddle wheel appears to attract a colony of small worms, despite carefully painting with eroding anti-foul each season. The only solution seems to be to clean it each time I use the boat. Easier said than done because the Hunter Delta has minimal bilges and the only suitable mounting position was in a dry locker. To contain the water I cut a hole in the bottom of a plastic ice cream container (about 3 litres) and mounted this around the sensor. With reasonable dexterity and confidence in removing and stuffing back the paddle wheel and/or blanking plug I can limit the amount of mopping up required. I have considered fitting the blanking plug when the boat is unattended but have always been concerned about the various wild life then making its home inside the capped tube. Impossible to clean without drying out and barnacles could damage the units rubber O rings when re-inserting.

The ideal solution would appear to be Echopilot's ultrasonic sensor which fits flush with the hull and has no moving parts. Has anyone any experience of this unit? Does anyone else produce anything similar or is the idea patented?

G

If the wheel protrudes barnacles will not stop it spinning but will alter the reading. Usually stop cause of weed around wheel or barnacles or grime in front of paddle altering flow. Mine is never removed or cleaned and has no antifoul etc on it but a good portion of the blade is exposed to the water flow!

pvb

Visit site
Antifoul it!

Use antifouling designed for outdrives. A little tin will last you years. I use International MPX (now called something else). A careful application once or maybe twice a year will keep your impeller spinning sweetly.

G

Re: Antifoul it!

Antifoul it. If you can find tin based paint on a SPRAY CAN it will be a lot easier to apply. I have an old can of VC-paint, intended for propellers, S-drive etc, which keep the impeller clean the whole season. Simply spin the impeller with your index finger and then spray the paint on one side of the impeller. Wait for the paint to dry. Redo it on the other side of the impeller.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Antifoul it! - but keep quiet!

I think you'll find that the application of tin based antifouling is illegal on your boat (unless it's a supertanker). Doesn't matter whether it's a new or old tin, it is illegal. I agree, when it was legal it was very effective.