Barcelone

ccscott49

Visit site
Just been looking at the port vell website, I was already considering there for winter next year, after the summer in the ballearics, the prices look fine to me. Anybody know anything about the marina, security, liveaboards, nearest paper shop, No! not that!, but general infon. I have been to Barcelone on numerous occasions when working in the med, but never the marina, any info would be appreciated, thankyou, chaps. (again thought this forum might be more useful than over the way!)

G

I,ve been, but Olympico only to east of city. Quite trendy, and nice and new. Le tunnel is a very decent restaurant, good views oiut to sea from above, outsidey down below. Others less good. Tons of bits and pieces shops all up and down the front between those ports. Bicycles/scooters a v good idea.

G

I spent a couple of days in Port Olimpic last year-never again. All the garages that were used for the sailing teams during the Olympics have been turned into Night clubs (this means painting them purple and lime green with HUGE sound systems)Music goes on to about 6.30am. And with about 30 garages sleep is not an option.

Moved to port Vell which was much nicer.Some decent-ish restaurants in Marie Magnum and the largest condom shop in Spain!!
There is some noise from traffic at night but nothing too bad. Staff very helpfull but not a lot of English spoken, some Catalan is an advantage. Lifting bridge is a pain for access and watch out for ferries and fast cats as you come out. Hope this helps.

ccscott49

Visit site
Thanks, Mark. I didn't see a lifting bridge, where is it? They don't mention it. I thought it might be a bit noisy, but as I said oncve before I live on drilling rigs, they are always noisy and I can sleep, without the assistance of a decent rioja! I didnt consider olimpic, for the reasons sated and of course it dies, really bad in the winter! I want some life when I'm home.

G

Lifting bridge is the only access to marina, if you walk directly down Las Ramblas you have to walk across the bridge ( Its only a footbridge- wooden slatted thing with arty metal superstructure)to get to Bar la tapas etc on the very front of Marie Magnum.

ARDEN

Visit site
Spent 7 nights in 1999 in Port Vell. Security excellent (credit card sized electronic key) Toilet and shower block above criticism. Staff helpful except that "control tower" morning opening hours not that convenient for current weather forecast. Fair few long term liveaboards (sail and motor) present - mostly pleasant and helpful. Definitely NO lifting bridge for entry to Port Vell. Your previous replier must have been in the more expensive marina as he correctly says with opening footbridge a few metres from Colombus on his column.