Barcelona - Minorca (Mahon). Best stop over?

Whitelighter

Visit site
Ex Barcelona on a Windy 35 Khamsin. Have the range to go direct but the time to stop over which is probably more comfortable.

Looks like the two options are west coast of Minorca or North coast of Mallorca, most probably Pollenca or Alcudia.

Not sure what is on the west coast of Minorca, but that is probably the closer port. for a 10m boat would we need to book a berth in late June?

Would be interested to know if anyone else is making the trip around June 24-26th

landlockedpirate

Visit site
We did Barcelona to Menorca a few years ago, about 5hrs at comfortable cruise speed and stopped at Cala n Bosch, its a couple of miles down from the West tip of the Island.

Marina is accessed via a short canal, its surrounded by bars and restaurants but they all close at 12 latest. You should get a berth, just pull up to the fuel berth when you enter and ask there, its directly in front of you when you exit the canal. Marina office is on the port side as you exit canal.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
I like PP as its a moll transit For berthing unless you go in the yacht club...

It's a council run marina and cheapish.. But you have to be their by midday to get a berth.

Hurricane

Visit site
On the west coast Menorca is Ciutadella - lovely port - 109 miles from Barcelona.
Pollensa is 104 miles from Barcelona
Alcudia (Alcudiamar) is 110 miles from Barcelona.
But if you are targeting Mahon then Ciutadella would be better - Mahon only 33 miles from Ciutadella whereas Alcudia and Pollensa are over 60 miles.

Putting it in perspective Barcelona to Cap Formentor is 98 miles - SC for Formentor is 125 miles.
We did Cap Formentor to SC last Sunday afternoon in about 5 hours - 25 knots all the way with a following sea - and burned LOADS OF FUEL.
IMO - Thats a long way for a 10m boat in June but you should do Ciutadella from Barcelona in about 4 hours if all the weather gods are on your side.

simon

Visit site
Ciutadella is by far the best bet if you are on route to Mahon. We were there last week and there are plenty of moorings now that the ferries have moved to the new facility outside of the port. The fiesta is on 23rd to 25th June and the town becomes very busy. In light of that I would try and prebook at the Club Nautico - http://www.cnciutadella.com/
I see from the web site that high season rates will be charged when the fiesta is on.

Hurricane

Visit site
Ciutadella is by far the best bet if you are on route to Mahon. We were there last week and there are plenty of moorings now that the ferries have moved to the new facility outside of the port. The fiesta is on 23rd to 25th June and the town becomes very busy. In light of that I would try and prebook at the Club Nautico - http://www.cnciutadella.com/
I see from the web site that high season rates will be charged when the fiesta is on.

Nearly got there last week, Simon - but my son had to wait for his bike to arrive in Alcudia.
We did get to try that new Thai restaurant though - great recommendation.

@Whitelighter

Here is a pic of Ciutadella - taken last year when we hired a car from Mahon.
Still yet to get the boat in there.
I believe that bigger boats are berthed at the club/visitors berth nearer the sea entrance.

IMG_6349_Small_zpsx0r1r55z.jpg

Last edited:

simon

Visit site
Glad you liked the Thai Mike.
The moorings are a bit mixed up, there is a stretch for visitors next to the fuel berth, as you say out towards the sea, but they also have some in front of the restaurants, this is where they put us last week.
There are also others that are operated by the Port Authority, I think these can be booked online.

jfm

Visit site
Cuitadella is lovely Jez - I agree all the comments above. Best to book via club nautico and they are very nice. I think there are plenty of 10m slots. for bigger boats there are 3 berths by the restaurants, 150m on your right after the club nautico building, and there are few alongside spots before then right at the club nautico building and fuel berth (night only, on the fuel quay) amounting to say another 4-5 spots, and that's it. You'll be in those if too big, but I'd expect 10m will fit on the normal berths. Anyway, it is a lovely place. Here is us in previous boat on one of the 3 restaurant downtown berths a few years ago - you are in the busy centre on these berths. Town is really nice - citadel - worth a walk around. and the whole port entrance, down a sort of narrow river, is nice too
MenorcaCuitadelatown.jpg

westernman

www.devalk.nl
When we did one of our trips from El Estartit further north from Barcelona to Minorca we anchored in the bay of Fornells on the north coast of Minorca. Safe anchorage, free of charge and some good restaurants.

marine

Visit site
I've never had the pleasure of cruising the Med or Menorca peninsular but I can only agree with the other posts having spent many holidays on my favourite island.
Cuitadella is stunning, specially when you get up to the old town and Cathedral. The Harbour is lined to the south with some excellent restaurants and I imagine the access is greatly eased by boat now the ferry has been moved (seemed very out of place for this Historic location)
Cala' n Bosch is modern quaint with a Venice like entrance and surrounded with Bars, restaurants and cafes but not unduly noisy.
You could try Fornells on the North of the Island (can get very windy) and there are some excellent restaurants there, also Port d' Addaia also to the NW which is a beautiful little Town and marina on a secluded inlet and offers great shelter and some nice little bars.
Realistically, I would have thought Cala' n Bosch is your best bet, before transiting West to Mahon. I don't know whether this link will help off the Fairline Menorca website, http://www.fairlinemenorca.com/island_13.htm

Very envious, I love the island and always fancied taking the boat there!

Steve

Hurricane

Visit site
When we did one of our trips from El Estartit further north from Barcelona to Minorca we anchored in the bay of Fornells on the north coast of Minorca. Safe anchorage, free of charge and some good restaurants.

You are right - I didn't expect that - going north/east round Menorca from Barcelona to Mahon is 138 miles - south round via Cuitadella is at least 145 miles.
Having said that, I don't like Fornells - I would anchor up in Addaia instead (or a 10m boat would get into the small the marina in Addaia) - restaurants on the hill just outside the marina.
It would be a 50:50 decision for me - via Addaia or Cuitadella - both would be a good stop over.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
You are right - I didn't expect that - going north/east round Menorca from Barcelona to Mahon is 138 miles - south round via Cuitadella is at least 145 miles.
Having said that, I don't like Fornells - I would anchor up in Addaia instead (or a 10m boat would get into the small the marina in Addaia) - restaurants on the hill just outside the marina.
It would be a 50:50 decision for me - via Addaia or Cuitadella - both would be a good stop over.

There is much bigger and in our opinion better choice for restaurants in Fornells than Addaia (at least when we were last there). Fornells town is more lively. Addaia has a lot of nice villas which seem to be unoccupied almost all the time.

Addaia is about the best possible storm refuge you could find though. Extremely calm and well protected. You could leave your boat anchored with a small rock on the end of a piece of string. You can get a nasty surprise when you leave and get outside again as it is very hard to know what you are likely to find before raising anchor.

Hurricane

Visit site
Just thought
If you are going south round there is a rock that has caught lots of people out.
Some say that it isn't charted but it is on all my charts.
I think the reason that it has caught people out is that it is easy to forget about it and it could be right on your route if you were keeping nice and close to the island.

So, here are a couple of chartlets that clearly show it.
So - Beware

MenorcaWest_Small_zpslzfmtx64.jpg

MenorcaWestRock_Small_zpsc6klixfa.jpg

jfm

Visit site
Realistically, I would have thought Cala' n Bosch is your best bet, before transiting West to Mahon.
Others might know better but I always write off Bosch as impossible to get into except in a very small boat. Even 10m as Jez is contemplating here feels tight; there's no way to get a big flybridge in but I don't know what the exact size cut off is. Mahon is obviously east of Bosch

Hurricane

Visit site
Others might know better but I always write off Bosch as impossible to get into except in a very small boat. Even 10m as Jez is contemplating here feels tight; there's no way to get a big flybridge in but I don't know what the exact size cut off is. Mahon is obviously east of Bosch

Wow - I didn't know of this marina

But for boats like ours, I suspect that this obstacle might be a bit difficult to negotiate!!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.9...tW-PqKfbcQaRA8QbKmlA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Hurricane

Visit site
Glad you liked the Thai Mike.

Yep worthy of a mention on here and SCMCHAT (I'll post a review on there as well).

Anyone visiting Alcudia this summer - there's a great new Thai restaurant.
Bit of a trek from the marina but walkable.
It is the Mango - see here
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...9e9c5e3397!8m2!3d39.8372922!4d3.1206503?hl=en

Very small - most of the business is takeway but the restaurant service is very good as well.
Yui is the lady who has just taken over (about a month and a half ago).
Her husband has a connection with Sealine Yachts on Mallorca - not sure what the connection is but I think it was more than just guardianage.
Food is excellent - all made to order.
We often go to My Thai in Palma Nova but IMO, the food in Mango is better.
Mango is very different from My Thai - smaller and more personal service.
Well worth a try - when you are fed up with the steaks in the Messon Dulcinea!!

landlockedpirate

Visit site