Baltic

G

anyone any recent experience of cruising in the Kattegat and of transiting the Kiel canal, price's etc....is such an area worth a couple of weeks cruise..????

peterb

Visit site
Yes, highly recommended. One of the nicest sailing areas, and the population is friendly. But a week is nowhere near sufficient. We had a packed week recently sailing from Roskilde (just west of Kobenhavn) round the east coast of Denmark and round to Nykobing on Falster. Exploring the islands in the Lille Baelt (just north of Kiel) would take a couple of weeks at least.

Remember that being well north they have long summer days, so we've found that June to August is the preferred season. Much later and it starts to get cold.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
Would agree with P, but add if time go out via Lymnfijord back by Kiel, you will need more time though. see my site below, for a brief outline . Definatelt gods wonderful boating area.

Transit price approx 70 dm for 16mtr, must be paid in Gernman CASH, no cards. could easily use a month plus up there.

David ps Take a look at my site www.yachtman.co.uk

G

Thanx for replys...only have two and a half weeks so it 'll have to be whistle stop......intending to entre via Kiel and return to north England via the Skaggerak......

chrisc

Visit site
i could recomend a visit to the island of Aero (no its not a chocolate bar)and
particulary Aeroskobing ,delightful ,.Svendborg is also worth a visit.
Store Belt is not particularly interesting but lille Belt is pleasant (beware of stopping in middlefart as there are enormous waves coming in when the tankers go by.
Samso island is nice ,
Grena has a realy good ,new,marina with excellent Aquariam alongside,but don'tbother with the town. you should go across to Arnholt while in the area (and hire cycles)nice island and meeting place for sailors.

G

Agreed about Aero being lovely. Try visiting the tiny harbour on Birkholm Island (or was it Bredholm Island? - the islands are side by side anyway) a couple of miles to the North of Aero. It has the tiniest harbour you'll ever see.

Also lovely is Faldsled, on Fyn, to the West of Svendborg.

chrisc

Visit site
one other thing I should of mentioned is the Danish pilot/harbour guide :-
KOMMA'S LOTS which ,although being in danish ,is an absolute must for the
area you are travelling .covers Danish waters, german area adjacent and swedish
west coast up to Gothenburg.A realy excellent publication and not too difficult to
understand with minimum translation skills.

wazza

Visit site
The Island of Laesö, in the middle of Kattegat, is VERY worth a visit, long sandy beaches you'd think your were on a desert island on a warm day. We hired push bikes and cyckled around the island in a day, visited a salt 'factory' where we made our own salt and so on....

Sweden, north of Göteborg, has an outstandingly beautiful coastline 1,000's of little islands with of without marinas, those with, are at a decent price £10 or less for my 32' boat per day(incl. elec). You can sail in shelterd waters, if you want, or out in the open sea. My suggeation would be to get hold of 'Båtsportsjökort' (Mini Charts) for the area. Its a real great place to cruise... no worry about tides....