Bad starting... bmc1.5d

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
yes on side called pre- engauged evidently
If the battery is charged and putting a spanner across the terminals on the solenoid does not produce any sparks then an earth/connection problem is the most likely. However, you need to be sure that the battery really is charged and able to deliver current. Testing it with a multimeter is not always a good guide to battery condition.

Richard

Rappey

Visit site
Is the starter wired up properly ? The clicking solenoid would suggest the ignition key side is working correctly but no power to the motor ?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Your technique is what garages use. Change this, no, change that, no, keep changing.

That's what most so called "professional" Technicians do things and then when fixed (If they ever do get it fixed) charge for all the bits and work.

Diagnose and then fix is not cost effective for most so called professional technicians due the the lack of basic knowledge

Mister E

Visit site
I forgot to say that the voltage measurements are taken when the glamorous assistant is trying to start the engine with the ignition switch.

Boater Sam

Visit site
Short solenoid small terminal to the big terminal that has the battery lead connected. Starter should engage and turn engine over.
If not you have either a duff starter/solenoid ( unlikely if its new ) or a duff battery or a bad connection somewhere twixt battery positive, starter or engine earth back to battery negative.

I don't reckon much to your auto electrician if he could not sort this simple problem out. Hope you paid him nothing for doing nothing.

Last edited:

steve gee

Visit site
If the battery is charged and putting a spanner across the terminals on the solenoid does not produce any sparks then an earth/connection problem is the most likely. However, you need to be sure that the battery really is charged and able to deliver current. Testing it with a multimeter is not always a good guide to battery condition.

Richard
i have just purchased a new battery 800cca , will test direct to starter on thursday....

steve gee

Visit site
Hi guys further too my woes.... both myself and auto electrician have put jump leads direct to starter and still fails to turn my engine over, whe we remove starter from engine it does spin out , but we think abit slow not fast... having taken this starter back to suppliers ,they say nowt wrong with it...... so next question is does anyone know rpm that starter should be spinning at ?? i now have aquired a rpm tester... so i hope i can proove something... many thanks for any answers...
ps brand new exide battery 800cca was used ...

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Hi guys further too my woes.... both myself and auto electrician have put jump leads direct to starter and still fails to turn my engine over, whe we remove starter from engine it does spin out , but we think abit slow not fast... having taken this starter back to suppliers ,they say nowt wrong with it...... so next question is does anyone know rpm that starter should be spinning at ?? i now have aquired a rpm tester... so i hope i can proove something... many thanks for any answers...
When the starter is fitted, is the starter pinion engaging with the flywheel and then simply stalling? If the engine turns over by hand and the battery is new and fully charged but the starter motor will not turn the engine over but stalls on engagement when using decent short jump cables, then I'm sure that there has to be a problem with the starter motor. It's probably not down to insufficient revs but probably insufficient torque.

Richard

Last edited:

Boater Sam

Visit site
Is this the same auto electrician
that could not diagnose a starter fault in the first place?

Starters draw large currents, if the cables and connections are not up to the job, the motor will lack torque.

barryhall

Visit site
Hi,
One thing did occur to me, when you say it turns over with a spanner, how far did you rotate it? Is it possible that it has water/fuel in a cylinder and is hydraulically locked.

Boater Sam

Visit site
No idea where this boat is but could someone nearby go round and help? Someone better than this auto spark who seems to be dumb.
Hell, its only a BMC 1.5D, so simple but its become a big deal. I'm on the other side of the world I think else I would have been and fixed it long ago.