Azores - what not to miss

Mrs Sail Away

Visit site
Hello

We are planning to sail to the Azores this summer (from the Canaries). Any advice on what to see, do and where to berth once there would be helpful. I imagine our first island is likely to be Santa Maria, depending on wind direction.

Thank you

Mrs Sail Away

alant

Visit site
Hello

We are planning to sail to the Azores this summer (from the Canaries). Any advice on what to see, do and where to berth once there would be helpful. I imagine our first island is likely to be Santa Maria, depending on wind direction.

Thank you

Mrs Sail Away

Only ever been into Horta, nice little town & good facilities.

Osprey of Orwell

Visit site
Just had a whale watching holiday/research fortnight in Horta. Flew there and back but it is the main sailing port, I believe. Whales impressed. Good facilities.

capnsensible

Visit site
Hiya! Hope its all going well.

Flores is fab but a looong trek out. Personally prefer Ponta Del Gada to Horta but overall a great place to cruise for a bit.

Enjoy!

Bobc

Visit site
Terceira is really lovely. Moorings are cheap too. They have a festival in the summer which is fun.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I think you will find the islands are very different from each other, each one has something different to offer, different peculiarities, and suggests different feelings; obviously each one has its specific type of cheese, *never* dare to compare them in front of local people.
Indeed, it pays to gather beforehand the dates of local festivals to try and be present, usually very nice and friendly, though one must be prepared to go to bed smelling like a grilled sardine.

Here are a few documents
https://www.visitazores.com/en

Spuddy

Visit site
Santa Maria has a cosy little marina with locals cafe and fishermen hanging about. A snorkeler from a French boat gave us half of a huge fish - typical of the friendly culture. And of course it's the nearest.
I liked Angra on Terceira very much. We were there during the annual music festival which was great fun. We went to one of their bullfights in a nearby village but only after learning that the animals weren't killed but were teased with multi-coloured umbrellas.
Felt let down by Horta. We anchored in harbour as instructed by marinero until office opened and got anchor fouled on massive old moorings; took a diver to get us free. So avoid tempting clear area in the middle. Rafting up on the pontoons was a companionable floating village. Disappointed in Cafe Sport - staff very snooty and poor service.
Pico looks spectacular but no mooring possible I think.
We had a few days in Velas on Sao Jorge. Very welcoming harbour master and a particularly cosy mooring under the cliffs. Nothing particularly special about the village but an intimate feel.
A friend headed for Flores from Horta but it was a long old slog to windward so he gave up and turned round which is not like him.
I've got a bit of an embarassed feeling that I've rambled away on this before quite recently. It must be age.
Hope you enjoy the Azores as much as I did. The other yachties are an interesting lot; it's off the beaten track for port hopping so them and their boats tend to be a bit out of the ordinary

AndrewB

Visit site
Its now many years since I visited, but of all the islands liked Graciosa most. There was almost no tourism, almost no cars, we were the only yacht. The people were wonderfully friendly and we had a great reception. We enlisted a donkey to visit the extraordinary caldera and climbed down into the semi-active volcanic core, the Furna do Enxofre. A must-do.