Axle placement on homebuild trailer

JumbleDuck

Visit site
There, fixed that for you. It is called the Construction and Use act and changing the construction and/or use could/would render the trailer illegal.
Regrettably what was OK in the 60's or 70's is not acceptable today.

Have you any legal citations for that? The earliest mention of trailers I can find in a very quick look is in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, and it was possible well into the 90s - and possibly beyond - to buy all the components from places like Indespension to make your own trailer. You can still buy suspension units, hitches and so on, but they won't sell you a trailer chassis any more.

I can't see anything in the "Use" section for trailers in the 1986 regulations (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/part/IV/chapter/C/made) which precludes operating a trailer for a different purpose than that for which it was designed. Perhaps you have something more recent?

ar1g3

Visit site
Possibly significant that the OP seems to be in euroland.
Different rules over there!

Yes, I'm from Belgium! Before 2012 it was legal to just put something together and tow it. Basicly I just have to be able to prove that my trailer was built before 2012, which is easily done with a grinder to reveal the several layers of old paint and rust.