Awl needle? Where to buy??

Ric

Visit site
I am not sure that "awl needle" is the correct term, because googling does not turn up any results. So what is the correct name for one of those splicing needles with a wooden pummel?

Gwylan

Visit site
I am not sure that "awl needle" is the correct term, because googling does not turn up any results. So what is the correct name for one of those splicing needles with a wooden pummel?

Speedy Sticher - very useful, shop around. The prices do vary.

A bit of practice and you can achieve quite reasonable results often without recourse to removing the item and lugging it to a sail loft or shoe repair pputlet.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Speedy Sticher - very useful, shop around. The prices do vary.

+1 to that, we completely re-sewed a badly battered sail in Sardinia using one of those; it took four days, but a better option than the €1000 quoted for a commercial repair - we renewed the sail a couple of years later for only €600!

If you hit a spot that's just too thick to go through, just pre-drill using a 1mm
drill-bit in a dremel.

OldBawley

Visit site
I use the Speedy stitcher a lot.
Jeans machine needle in it. ( 1,5 mm ) Like to use waxed thread, that yarn gives the nicest stitch tension.
From time to time sharpening the needle on a fine whetstone helps a lot. In stead of drilling punching with a awl works also.
For sail repair I rather glue than stitch.

Ric

Visit site
No, not a speedy stitcher, nor a fid. Think of a large needle, sharp at the "blunt" end, and with a wooden handle on the "sharp" end. You push the eye through a rope, put a thread through the hole, then pull it back through the rope. Very useful for anchoring a thread through a rope before making a whipping.

PS - yes, I know how to make a whipping without passing the thread through the rope, but I prefer to do it my way.

Poignard

Visit site
No, not a speedy stitcher, nor a fid. Think of a large needle, sharp at the "blunt" end, and with a wooden handle on the "sharp" end. You push the eye through a rope, put a thread through the hole, then pull it back through the rope. Very useful for anchoring a thread through a rope before making a whipping.

PS - yes, I know how to make a whipping without passing the thread through the rope, but I prefer to do it my way.
This sort of thing?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/264465825/7-inch-sewing-awl-with-wooden-handle-tj?ref=market

I used to have something similar but l don't know what became of it. If I ever needed such a thing, I'd make one.

When I'm making a sewn whipping I just use a large sail needle to pass the thread through the rope.

Ric

Visit site
Parsifal has it - I now know it is called a sewing awl. At least I can now do some googling. Thank you.