Avon Redcrest B7 valves refurbed ..... still leaks !

Refueler

Visit site
So I refurb'd the valves ... and pumped her up .... valves sorted nicely.

Left her inflated and went back an hour later ... mmmm crease starting to show - indicating pressure is slowly going down ....

Sprayed soapy water .. couldn't find anything ... so last resort .... sealing fluid .... ordered bottle of SealFlex from SVB ... received yesterday.

Today poured in the bottle .... pumped it up ... threw it around spreading fluid all over inside ....

After about 10 mins of this and knackered ! I sat down and noticed a tiny white bubble and another ... till a little collection of bubbles created a mound ....

This is the surprise ... I'd expect a pinhole somewhere under or sides ... but this was just above the join tape on the bow.

So hoisted transom up and rotated dinghy so this area is low ... any excess fluid can collect there ...

Will leave for a bit and then lower it down to cure.

If successful - I will be buying some ring patches to refit painter .... and toggle patches for seat ....

Refueler

Visit site
Still holding ....

I have to admit that last time I tried sealing a dinghy ... Narwhal ... the fluid (advertised as correct for Narwhal) caused the seams to let go .... literally it just dissolved the glue joints .....

Refueler

Visit site
Next day :

RgH0Ukel.jpg

Maybe a new beginning for the old girl ....

Refueler

Visit site
Today when ordering the glue for my Soviet inflatable - added a pot of Gummipaint as well ....

Decided to spruce her up a bit ... paint those scuffed areas and also something I have meant to do for near 25yrs !! Remove the previous owners boat name on it !!

Will replace the grab ropes .... and a few other small items ..... something that needs sorting - the painter black rubber patch pulled off the boat - so need sort an attachment for painter .... I'm thinking of creating a bridle of two D rings (one either side of bow).

Not decided about the yellow tape - that would be hard work removing and then cleaning up for new tape.

Refueler

Visit site
3 days and still fully inflated ................ (y)(y)(y)(y)

Have dug out the motor mount - steel original ... actually its the 3rd one I have had for this dinghy. Still in good condition .. will remove scale and old paint ... prime and coat ....

I have a couple of small outboards perfect for this ....
This is the engine that came with it ... Johnson 4.5 Twin .....

3KsI0mrm.jpg

But its heavy and dinghy is much better with either of the next two :

moD9FJjm.jpg

Mariner 2

or

yscnRszm.jpg

Johnson 3

Last edited: