avon jetrib yamaha J700G 63N engine issues (surging, hunting, wont go WOT)

vas

Visit site
6m old thread, not too bad...
was searching for something else and came across this thread, so best if I close it with some more info.

First, engine was OK, removed cyl head, all nice and clean and within specs, so only replaced the cyl to block and cyl head to cyl gaskets. Still 70-80euro for them.
Replaced the v.stiff morse cable of the fwd/reverse (squashed under the tank) and took the opportunity to remove the fuel sender which lives in the tank (unsurprisingly) but you have to almost remove the tank to remove it (surprisingly!)
I've explained in another thread how I fixed it anyway with three new 3dprinted custom floaters .

All back together at the end of July, tuned the carbs (somehow...) before fitting the grp lid on the thing Mike.
Used it (a fair bit) during the season, all was fine. One day though coming from a slow tour of an island 5nm round it started doing the same thing. Next few days tried to find what was wrong and eventually found that one of the fuel jets (and/or linkage from the one to the other carb) had shaken from set position and was starving the one cyl above half throttle. Played a bit with it (messed knuckles as especially the front carb is almost impossible to adjust the screw unless you're 10yo) and was fine afterwards. Last 2mile trip from port to boatyard to pull it out for storage it was fast as always.
Will need to check idle speed and adjust the jets again more carefully as well as match the two throttle bodies with a filler gauge I recon and then use threadlock on the linkage screws.
To be done before relaunching in the summer, happy to say that the new LCD gauge I got is working fine and fuel shows as it should - no more running out of fuel now!
Actually once I get the new custom nav light 3D printed, I'll have everything onboard working as should, well impressed it took me 4 seasons to get it fully restored - OK took me a season to figure out how to lift and drop it off the bathing platform with the passerelle :rolleyes:

V.