Autopilots and Rule 52

dunedin

Visit site
Yes, this is what you should be pushing for.

But also be aware that singlehanded racing, especially if you don't have an autopilot remote etc, combined with fully crewed has the potential to be a bit fraught.

If you have enough interest in single handing, or doublehanding for that matter, at your club then suggest that a separate series might be good. You may even then get some of those who normally sail crewed to give it a go, and then everyone is on an equal footing.
I suspect your clubs and fleet sizes are somewhat larger in the Solent than up in the frozen north. Excess boats crowding the waters probably has not been a hazard since the herring fleets left 100 years ago.

TLouth7

Visit site
Under white sails only singlehanding without an autopilot is no hardship, even on a short course. My club specifically has a handicap adjustment for white sails (declared before the start), although in practice for most races we don't get a single spinnaker.

dgadee

Visit site
Under white sails only singlehanding without an autopilot is no hardship, even on a short course. My club specifically has a handicap adjustment for white sails (declared before the start), although in practice for most races we don't get a single spinnaker.
Yes, but I know that you've got your boat sussed. And are young and fit.

dunedin

Visit site
That depends a lot on the boat - the boat size, hull and keel shape, the size of the sails (especially any genoa), access to winches from helm etc. Some details can be optimised on an existing boat, but not all.