Autohelm 2000 fitting

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Ian,

Thanks for your compliment but I'm not an expert, although I am happy to share my experience in fitting my ST1000+ I am replying in open forum so that others may contribute.
You are fitting yours to a Mirage 28 Mk1 sorry but dimensions will be different to my Mirage 27.
The instruction book is a must have I assume you have a copy, it is subject to copyright which is owned by Raytheon. I do not want to breach this copyright but as I said will share my experience.
The fitting for the 1000 is the same for the 2000 yours will be to a tiller like mine?
You will require a tiller bracket page 39 mines under slung, also a cantilever socket for sidewall cockpit mounting see page 40 maybe a mirage 28 owner will give you dimension F.
I recommend sidewall mounting because when the autopilot is removed if the seat option is used, in my view this represents a serious hazard. I saw the bruise cause to a crew members leg by sitting down on an extention rod left connected on a seat mount.
Power supply see page 44 regarding voltage drop use cable man enough to take the current.
Port or Starboard fitting? I would fit nearest to the best place for power take off and fitting of the socket.
Socket template on page 69, I used the socket gasket which as far as I remember is the same.
Tools you will require a drill, screw driver, 21mm hole cutter for socket, small drills.
Operating Sense see page 51-52 If the pilot is on the port side and you press +10 degrees the rod should shorten. If it extends see page 52 to reverse the Operating Sense.
Hope this all made sense and was of some help to you.
As I said the instrution book is a must have, do not attempt fitting without it.
All the best.
Trevor

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Ian,

Further thought on this, the Cantilever rod can be cut to length on the boat use the formulae (F" -23.75")= L where L is the length of rod in inches including thread see picture on page 40 of the instruction/operation book. The autohelm must be mounted horizontal so I would enquire if you can purchase the Bracket D009 - D011 in Turkey if this is possible. Otherwise you are pre-determining the position of the cantilever which I would not recommend.

Hope this covers it.
Trevor