auto pilot advice needed

lilianroyle

Visit site
I have a 31 foot smack, I guess its displacement is about 6-7 tons. I've never had an auto pilot but I'm intending to do a couple of long (48 hour plus) passages this summer and am thinking about buying an autopilot to remove some of the strain. Do you think that a Simrad T1 which is designed for a smaller displacement boat would be Ok for motoring or light wind sailing. I can't really afford the £500+ model and I'm not anticipating using it when the helm is under a lot of strain.
advice please
Thanks
Pete

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
I do not know the Simrad, but as a general rule you should fit an autopilot that has more capacity than the minimum for your boat, not less. You will find that most autopilots will cope pretty well into wind and reaching but will not do well going downwind.

Chris Stannard

VMALLOWS

Visit site
I have to agree with Chris. As a single-hander the auto-helm is absolutely essential and you certainly need one that will cope in all conditions...not just when things are easy. Personally I can't afford the horrendous prices either.......I'm still using the original (round, turn the knob) AutoHelm 2000 (with a spare in the locker) on a 29 footer.

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
Don't for goodness sake stint on an autopilot. Get one which is properly man enough for and you will never regret it. It takes your boating to a new level when you can just push a button and have it steer for you at any time leaving you free to attend to other matters. Consider fitting an internal one where the ravages of the weather can have no effect on it. Then you can depend on it to work. It was one of the handiest bits of equipment I have ever fitted and steers the boat 95% of the time.

VMALLOWS

Visit site
Gus, you're quite right on the 'inside' bit. I had endless trouble due to corrosion untill I moved the control unit inside the hatch. It also has the advantage that you can stand in the companion-way out of the wind and steer the boat! I have not had any trouble with the exterior tiller actuator arm (connected via plug/socket so it's easily removable). For these reasons I would never buy an 'integrated' tiller pilot.........however good the manufacturer claims the water-proofing to be.

SteveA

Visit site
I totally agree with the previous replies - get an autopilot that will be able to cope with most conditions - when the going gets rough be able to use the thing! It makes sailing so much more enjoyable.

Personally I have just fitted a Raymarine ST6001+ inboard pilot and find it very good - and none of it is exposed to the elements.
Steve

brian_neale

Visit site
I have had a look at the specs and recommendations for autopilots for my new boat, which I plan to sail single- or short-handed at times. Gaff cutter, 28' on deck. That would mean that one of the larger Raymarine autopilots would do - except that with a displacement of 8.5 tons or so, it is way over their limit! Tiller steered with a transom-hung rudder, which pretty well rules out the usual inboard autopilots without some very fancy engineering. May end up with a tiller lashing and let the long keel keep it straight...

The smaller AP units may be OK when motoring but I do not think that they would cope with a breeze when broad reaching in a gaffer when the tiller load goes way up.

Boatman

Visit site
Don't stint get the best you can I tried a cheaper less capable option on a previous boat ended up costing more to repair, fix and replace than if I had bought the right unit in the first place.