Attach anchor bridle to octoplait...

Elemental

Visit site
I have a new yacht and it's required with 40m chain - no octoplait...
We currently anchor using a snubbing bridle, attached to the chain with a chain hook and made fast on the forward cleats. The main reason for the bridle, aside from any requirement for snubbing, is because the chain fairlead makes it impossible to lead the chain to a cleat and I don't like leaving the chain on the windlass. However, because we anchor a lot, I want more than 40m and intend to add a further 40 of rope. If I took the octoplait directly to the forward cleats, it would foul/abrade badly on the chain fairlead. So how to attach a 'bridle' to the rope. I guess there's a knot for that, but I'm left withering is there's something comparable to a chain hook ...

neil_s

Visit site
A rolling hitch will work on the chain, too. I see you want a bridle, though, so perhaps you need to tie the rolling hitch with a bight of your bridle rope.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
If you have a bridle ending with an eye another option is to make a very long soft shackle, wind it around the rope (the knife) to make a prusik knot (or other similar ones, Klemheist/Machard etc), then take the soft shackle through the bridle eye (the tape roll) and close it.

Snub starz.jpg

Elemental

Visit site
If you have a bridle ending with an eye another option is to make a very long soft shackle, wind it around the rope (the knife) to make a prusik knot (or other similar ones, Klemheist/Machard etc), then take the soft shackle through the bridle eye (the tape roll) and close it.

View attachment 134301
This is asking the lines of what I was thinking. I use soft shackles a lot, and this looks like a fair use. My concern is that during periods of low load (perhaps at the turn of the tide) the prusik could slip...

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
This is asking the lines of what I was thinking. I use soft shackles a lot, and this looks like a fair use. My concern is that during periods of low load (perhaps at the turn of the tide) the prusik could slip...
There are experts in climbing on this forum they will have a proper answer, my humble opinion is it would not but I do not know for sure.
To improve friction you can buy a small length of technora cover and slide it over the soft shackle middle section, the one coming in contact with the rope: it increases friction a lot. This technora cover (not dyneema, which is very slippery) is often used as additional cover to increase grip for ropes used with clutches, it is very effective.

IanCC

Visit site
The classic prusik knot, once loaded, is difficult to undo so is not much used by climbers. It mught be fine for this job. I think the relative size of the string used will be important. Thick enough to be strong yet thin enough to work effectively as a prusik. If it is of interest climbers tend to use the French prusik and the kleimheist knots because they can slide under load.