Atlantic Crossing - the biggest dilemma, what shall I buy them for Christmas that will be useful?

KevinV

Visit site
Earplugs - there'll be a day (usually a quiet one) when the sound of the other person breathing, or a block squeaking, will be enough to drive you spare

Knig

Visit site
That reminds me: take a spare tin opener.
Speaking of which, someone on here advised a

Lantana 2 in 1 Safety/Smooth Edge Tin Can Opener & Bottle Opener - Black/Stainless Steel​

to me. Bestest I've ever used, no sharp edges, lasted ages and you can pop the top of the can back on if you want.

Knig

Visit site
Try inserting using the link button Link
For want of a better word, bother. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't noticed that or the insert picture one. Ah well, live and learn, and at my age forget quite quickly!

skupper

Visit site
An annual subscription to Razzle and Readers Wives; 24 glorious, glossy copies of wanton wonderment. Keep them unopened over the year preceding your voyage, then take with you on your long voyage of discovery. They are also useful for trading, bartering, thickening epoxy and forming structural shapes to be subsequently glassed over.
Username checks out!

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
The smaller items have already been mentioned but...,

I had almost a minimum of 3 of all essential things.
*. 5 batteries that 4 could be isolated from 5th.
*. Three methods of receiving gps + a hand held battery one.
*. 3 methods of steering.. one boat rudder, one wind steering rudder, one auxiliary steering system fitted off stern involving a French made system with spinnaker pole.
*. Three separate vhf systems one boat two handheld.
*. An emergency vhf antenna to screw into aerial take-off at back of radio if built-in antenna should 'disappear'.
* A second hank-on forestry.(i had two).

A cockpit bimini as too much direct sun is never a good thing.
A second method of heating food
A hand operated pump for that unplanned flood.
Oil blankets for that unplanned spillage.
Spare everything for an engine service.
Spare bottled water for when a main tank should be corrupted.
All members of crew need 3-way life lines for sail changing and work on deck with Jack-stays from stern to bow.
Tied on lengths of line left hitched to safety lines around the boat can find a use in some emergencies.
A safety line put around the outside of the base of the stanchions for a hand-hold is a quick way to assist a conscious mob.
A long trailing line with small dinghy fender out the back if you fancy a swim .
5Step fender to enable the swimmer back on board with halyard attached to life-jacket harness.
A black (shower) solar water container hung in the rigging.
I put about 20 hooks around the inside of my Tradewind. It's amazing how valuable they were on odd occasions.
A string fruit and veg basket.
A quick method of cheering crew up such as.... music, a hot drink, a quiz, small jobs ( one size doesn't fit all! )

Above all comfort, sleep and quality food are essentials !

wonkywinch

Visit site
Muggi mug holder. Holds mugs securely for filling and moving. Very non slip. Great for passing up mugs to the cockpit when underway.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09RC9TFS3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
The muggy is a great thing. We found it will also hold wine glasses nicely.

You can simplify Amazon links by deleting all the superfluous referral bits until you've just got the product reference, eg:

amazon.co.uk/Lantana-Safety-Can-Opener-Bottle/dp/B07464F5WN/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Lantana+2+in+1+Safety%2FSmooth+Edge+Tin+Can+Opener+%26+Bottle+Opener+-+Black%2FStainless+Steel%E2%80%8B&sr=8-5

To

amazon.co.uk/Lantana-Safety-Can-Opener-Bottle/dp/B07464F5WN