Athens to Dubrovnik

Bezzer

Visit site
Along with old friends from the UK and Spain, we have charted a Bavaria 49 for a week in June starting from Dubrovnik. Another friend and myself intend to shoot up to Dubrovnik via Corfu in a RIB from Athens where we live.

Whatever advice you might have about passing through Albanian waters we would appreciate. Looking at the charts seeing "Former Mined Area" and hearing stories of piracy in the last couple of years is a little unsettling.

Any advice most welcome.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Metabarca

Visit site
If I were you, I would avoid 'shooting up' through Albanian waters in anything, let alone a RIB. You are likely to be accosted none too gently by the Italian navy since RIBs are the preferred means of transport for shipping clandestines into Italy. This activity has tailed off recently, but still...
Piracy might conceivably also be an issue, not for what money you have but for the vessel itself. If I were you, I would try to get in touch with an Italian naval vessel from Corfu and then stick well into international waters.
IMHO

P.S. Bear in mind too that you will be required to pay a cruising tax in Croatia as soon as you arrive, whether the boat is simply used as a means of getting into the country or not. Dunno how much for a RIB but £100+ for a sailing boat. The permit lasts a year.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html>http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html</A>

Bezzer

Visit site
Thanks for the useful comments, how many miles offshore is considered Albanian waters? Is it the usual 12 same as Greece? Any info on night life in Croatia?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Metabarca

Visit site
Dunno as to the miles off shore, and my pilot book's in the boat, but I imagine as per everywhere else. I think the problem is not so much keeping out of Albanian waters per se as being far enough off shore as not to constitute being a target or suspect.
Dunno about night life either - I'm always too knackered in the evening after a day's sail, but sure, everywhere in Croatia that has wheeled access will be humming. No problems in Dubrovnik I should think, although it might seem a little provincial!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html>http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html</A>

MedMan

teall.name
I heartily endorse Metabarca's comments. I have done the journey from Dubrovnik to Corfu in a sailing boat. We kept in International waters all the way down and well, well out of Albanian waters. In a RIB you would be assumed to be people smuggling and I suspect you would find one of the Greek Coastguard Gunships based at Gouvia on your tail before you could say 'illegal immigrant'. We had one approach us at well over 40 knots at dawn throwing up enough spray to blot out the horizon. Very scary!

I have read that the mines have long since gone, but there is no way I would go close enough to find out, mines or no mines.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtretreat.com>http://www.yachtretreat.com</A>

Bezzer

Visit site
Hello David,

By coincidence I have just exited your Website, and read your passage report, I also signed the guest book, with an offer of dinner if you are in Athens - for your re-entry into the EEC story! Having lived in Greece for 18 years I have a few myself.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

slavkod

Visit site
I would not go close to Albanian cost. In April I will sail down to Greece and will avoid this area.
Night life in Croatia is provincial as one said but depends what you are looking for. If you are after girls then you might check with taxi drivers. When I have stoped in Split few weeks ago there was a big show with 66 girls in hotel Split. But I did not check what was all about.

Slavko

PS I do not have any experience in that area.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MedMan

teall.name
What a generous chappie! It will be a year or two before we pass that way, but when we do I will try to make contact.

Best wishes

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtretreat.com>http://www.yachtretreat.com</A>

davidbains

Visit site
Bezzer,
Nearly every yacht that sails from Corfu to Croatia sails right over to the Italian coast and back.
Partly because it's normally a windward trip involving tacking. Last time we stopped in Brindisi and Vieste. However when I was clearing out of Dubrovnik, two Italian motor boats had just arrived from Corfu non stop and I'm sure they just came up the Albanian coast at a decent distance. We returned non stop to Corfu although again passing close by Brindisi. In theory you can visit Albanian ports although you should not leave you boat unattended. Could you do Gouvia to Dubrovnik in one day?
David.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
Albania 2005?

Hi

We hope to go to Albania next year with a convoy of 2 or 3 boats. I understand that things are opening up there but you still have to be careful, and not look like a rich target. If you are in Athens, why don't you make contact with some of the many Albanians there and see if you can find anyone reliable to give you advice? Maybe the Consul?

Anyone else fancy a trip north from Greece to Croatia via Albania around June 2005?

<hr width=100% size=1>Melody McKay Burton
Yacht Valentine, Greece

Bezzer

Visit site
Hello David,

Having looked at the charts and subject to weather conditions Corfu-Dub in this RIB (7meter Scorpion) is certanly acheivable in one day, although we expect to be very tired by the time we arrive. (over 40, enjoy to much wine and cigs)

Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bezzer

Visit site
Re: Albania 2005?

Hello Melody,

There are 500.000 Albanians in Athens at any one time, and having spoken to many over the years I have consistantly been left with the impression that visiting Albania is not worth the risk and that security is assured for no one, especially foriegners. It is routine I understand for visiting business people to hire local protection. For three years an Albanian was in my employ, whom I trusted, she thought me foolish for even considering a visit. "The clothes on your back mark you as a target".

That having been said, I'm sure many yachties would be very interested including me, of your experience should you decide to go.

Regards Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

johnneale

Visit site

Yeah - I'm interested
... Having got my little 24' motorsailor from UK to Greece (via Danube & Black Sea) - I dont much like the idea of being 30 miles away from good old mother earth. My wife & I will be coming through t he Corinth this year to Do the Ionion, but will want to crawl up the Albanian coast to Croatia from Corfu (or nearby) in the spring of 2005.

Come back

<hr width=100% size=1>

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com

Hi
There was an article in one of the yachting mags a year or so ago written by someone who had been there. I'll try and find out who it was.
For some unknown reason I have always wanted to visit Albania. We live on Aegina and there are Albanians working here too. I understand from them that it should be safe if you are careful. A key point seems to be not looking rich and having easy things to steal, like new outboards.
I'm going to do some homework on it, and will post a message on here in a month or so when I've found out more.
We have 3 boats who are interested in the trip at present. Maybe if we can get a group of half a dozen we can make a real Albanian flotilla!
Cheers
Melody

<hr width=100% size=1>Melody McKay Burton
Yacht Valentine, Greece

cpthook

Visit site

hi there

For those thinking of a passage Greece to Croatia it may be worth considering
spring when the winds can be Southerly (usually SE). I have just waited 10
days for instance in Dubrovnik for Northerlies to set in for Corfu. Had to abort
and will try again soon. BA has just recently started flying again to Dubrovnik
from Gatwick North Terminal after 12 or so years and the flights can be as cheap
as £55 + tax each way. Alternatively a good way is a cheap Ryanair flight from
Stanstead to Ancona then the Jadrolinja ferry to Split and drive down.
Alternatively Ryanair to Bari then ferry to Dubrovnik. Watch out for speed traps on
the roads which are everywhere (fine around £20).

Night life in Dubrovnik in April was quite busy with an amazing amount of
attractive women wandering around. Get a room in the beautiful but noisy old
town - flats from £20 a night at http://www.dubrovnik-area.com/Eng/search.asp
No night clubs that we could find but the Irish Bar is good and check out "Tonis"
for great pasta and salad and the pizza place next door. Watch the Dubrovnik
ACI Marina who have just put their prices up 50%+. I had my storm jib and main
sail battens stolen from my boat there last week.

According to my Adriatic pilot Albania's waters extend 12M offshore.
Croatina weather forecasts can be found at
http://www.tel.hr/dhmz/prognoza/prognoze_en.html
but more detailed and useful forecasts are obtainable daily at the marinas.

Cheers, Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>