Asymettric spinnaker

G

I need a new spinnaker (or cruising shute). I am thinking of going for a swift tax-free job at Xmas when I am in the UK.

1. I am attracted to using an assymetric spinnaker as a sort of compromise between a cruising chute and a conventional spinnaker. It seems a reasonable idea as I don't want a really big sail, have all the normal kit, but don't have an obvious chaff-free place to put a strop for a cruising chute. I assume that it can be used to a decent angle off the wind if I unleash the pole - any comments?

2. Would anyone care to suggest someone who they have dealt with who gives a swift service (reliable delivery date is important)?

G

I fly my Asymetric Spinnaker/Cruising Chute rigged as a conventional spinnaker wheenever the wind gets much more than 110 degrees apparent. Works fine.

charles_reed

Visit site
Re: Asymmetric spinnaker

Very much a compromise when used as a spinnaker, but very much better when close reaching.

If, like you I had to choose between asymmetric and tri-radial spinnaker, I'd definitely opt for the spi.

I've got both, but the spinnaker gets very much more use

G

Re: Asymmetric spinnaker

Agree its a compromise - as most things in sailing are.

I too have both. I can fly the chute with just me and 'er indoors. The kite is 50% more sail area and needs more attention so a bigger crew or 'er indoors gets on deck and agitated.

charles_reed

Visit site
Leave \'er behind mate

I usually sail single-handed, however when the other half (no value judgements on this board please) is with me I always invite her to go down below and read her book (with a large G&T to accompany it), BEFORE I lift.

She does express wonderment about the boatboard habit of G&Ts before breakfast, though.