ASA vs RYA

alant

Visit site
"The point I was making was simpy that certificates of whatever sort, do not of themselves make good seamen but that I would be quite happy to believe the competence of a US skipper who had made it across The Pond in safety."

Totally agree!! If someone has the competance to get safely across the pond, this is a good indication of capability. Sailing in 'coastal waters' with many more things to 'bump' into, is a perhaps different level of competancy.
However, haven't yet met an American sailing his/her own boat on this side, who isn't competant.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mrplastic

Visit site
Re: ASA vs RYA - The ASA has replied

That's very interesting indeed. Maybe a precedent has already been set? I will contact the RYA and and ask the question. Thanks for all your assistance.

CLP

<hr width=100% size=1>EVERYTHING begins with an E

Birdseye

Visit site
surely, there is no difference. you cannot get a british driving license issued on the basis of a foreign driving test just as you cant get a british coc issued on the basis of an american test.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
No, as I have said oft times before, you do not need an ICC or COC to visit a European port as long as you don't go into the inland waterways where the law of the country concerned applies, not International Maritime Law.

However, some local authorities are not as well versed in international law as others so carrying an ICC does no harm and may save a lot of argument

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

temptress

gbr195t.com
For years I have held the optnion that the RYA is an inwardlooking, selfserving organisation that provides very little for the UK boating public. Guess this is just another example......

Kevin Harris
Temptress Of Down
Southsea Marina
Hants

<hr width=100% size=1>Temptress of Down
Southsea Marina
Hants
UK