Around Alone - pass the sick bag, Alice

jimi

Visit site
Re: Example to us all

Well if I drink Margaret's I don't have to buy 'em. I suppose I better survive on penguins as well..

jimi

Visit site
But we need to ...

Ken, I wish you would'nt adopt that patronising,officious nanny state tone, these people exemplify the finer side of the human race.
Where would we be without the endeavour's of Cook, the lurch into the unknown of Columbus, (if Mr & Mrs Columbus came calling would they be announced as Columbi?) .. we would have no USA or Australia, now that would be a real calamity!
There may be no new continents to discover but there are galaxies, solar systems and other dimensions .. this is what keeps the spirit alive so that homo sapiens can explore these when our intergalactic craft are ready!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
O\'level history

I failed it (wrote about Gallipoli instead of Crimea, duh!) but to the best of my recollection, Messrs Cook and Columbus stopped on the way round.

In the process Horatio Cook discovered tobacco, whilst Vasco de Columbus brought back the Pina Colada. I seem to recall he even named one of his ships after that fine cocktail.

They were the original booze'n' baccy cruisers. Successive Chancellors of the Exchequer are eternally grateful to them.

Had both these luminaries arrived back in Great Buggering on Sea (or wherever) saying we sailed around the world and there's nothing out there except waves and the wreckage of Team Philips, where would we be today?