Aries Mk I self steering

jesterchallenger

Visit site
If anyone's interested I know of one of these for sale. I haven't seen it but I understand it's in full working order. PM me if your interested and I'll put you in touch with the vendor.

Saddletramp

Visit site
Did you buy the Mk1? I asked because I have one sat in the shed. Wonderful agricultural looking thing. Still trying to work out how I can plonk it on the back of the boat. I have never seen another one, I think they only made a few and changed the design quite radically.

SwedishLass

Visit site
Yes I bought it and am cleaning it up and servicing it. Intend to fit it over the winter. As you say wonderfully agricultural. The website has some detail and fitting seems straightforward. I particularly liked the idea of not drilling the transom to fit.
I have assembled it and had it steering the picnic table.
For personal satisfaction I intend to remake the vane in spare moments.
According to the website is less efficient than the flappy paddle type but I always fancied a ketch.

Just working out how far aft the blade needs to be for best effect as it is a fair old weight to hang off the back and shorter will reduce the moment. I know I could also reduce the weight aft by dieting /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif but somehow it seems easier to remove metal.

Saddletramp

Visit site
I have seen the site thanks. I also spoke to Helen Franklin, daughter of the designer, who is still involved with the Aries. She confirmed what it said about the MK 1 on the website. 'It should be in a museum'. I bought it off a bloke that had sailed to Spitsbergen with it amongst other places. Looks solid enough and quite simple. Weighs a ton though. When I get it up and running I will post some photos.

Saddletramp

Visit site
Actually I am wondering if mine is an Aries. Do you have any photos? It does not look like anything on the website, but it does have the large bronze beveled gears on each side.

It has arms that rotate on each side. I remember the previous owner saying you have to have enough clearance for the arms. Something he had overlooked. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SwedishLass

Visit site
Pictures from the original vendor.
Yes it does fit into the museum category but oooh so Blondie Hasler.

SS850054.jpg

SS850049.jpg

SS850040.jpg

Saddletramp

Visit site
Ah! Mine does not look that. Similar, but not the same. Mine is more heavliy built with 2 big bevel gears on each side and one on the front as yours. I will take some photos. I wonder what it is?