Are you all mad in the Solent?

Badger

Visit site
We sailed back from Hamble to Chichester on Sunday, cannot reconcile your description with the situation on the water we experienced. I went to Ramsgate once... it was closed.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Dr Who strikes again

>There was not a SW7 in the Solent on Sunday Afternoon<

No, but there was the previous Sunday, when xtyseven 'rescues' were reported.

Who keeps messing with the time/space continuum?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Me to. I only turn it on if I want something or am singlehanded and bored... However 2 weeks ago I did catch a good Pan Pan "rescue" in Portsmouth Harbour.

Some poor sod had gone aground on the top of a spring tide whilst well heeled (20kt breeze) and was desperately trying to get a tow off the mud before he became a 2 week resident!

Kept me on the edge of my seat for well over an hour!

<hr width=100% size=1>

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Me to. I only turn it on if I want something or am singlehanded and bored... However 2 weeks ago I did catch a good Pan Pan "rescue" in Portsmouth Harbour.

Some poor sod had gone aground on the top of a spring tide whilst well heeled (20kt breeze) and was desperately trying to get a tow off the mud before he became a 2 week resident!

Kept me on the edge of my seat for well over an hour!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
No, we are not all mad. We had a very pleasant sail in the West Solent last Sunday. Unlike a lot of people, we go inshore to reduce the tidal stream when headed, it was not busy at all in areas with a few feet under the keel.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Little_Russel

Visit site
I am not quite sure what you are bleating on about. What do you expect if you come into Cowes on a hot summer afternoon? If it is all too much for you think ahead. It is all very well sailing around in perfect isolation in some back-water but I bet there are better sea-men in the Solent purely because they all have to have eyes in the backs of their heads. Now I assume your post was just meant to wind people up and I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is that you really did find it difficult to navigate. If that is true then I feel the problem lies with you and not with the Solent.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sail the Se7en seas...

l'escargot

Visit site
"There was no wind but the wash appeared to be about Force 7 from all directions"

These conditions are not unusual. It was wind over tide (springs). The actual wind was about f3-4 but this is enough to give broken waves at Hurst, Egypt Point and any other overfalls. Combine this with the wash of a few power boats and you get a very pronounced chop.

What you experienced will seem like the Yorkshire Moors compared to this weekend when there will be in the region of 2000+ sailing boats racing round the Island in adition to the normal traffic. Then there will be Cowes week!

But it's not always as bad and if you know it, there are always places to get away from the mainstream.

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_steward

Visit site
Re: Not difficult...

To navigate at all, what struck me most was the outright negligance and poor seamanship.

<hr width=100% size=1>We don't want a sports cruiser, totally impractical. Err ok then.

Dave S