are yachts sentient?

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
my foredeck is too narrow

Done!

I would obviously recruit extra crew..... but the foredeck is too narrow - and all that extra windage would slow me down

as for using words like demographic

I have been a hack at radio 4 for many years - they have always mithered about the dreaded radio 4 demographic

I used to wear a suit and a tie and I am sure I will do again

Dylan

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Done!

women-sailing.jpg

That genoa halyard could do with a bit more tension.

Chrissie

Visit site
I always talk to my boat, encouragingly, and I am sure she responds. When I scrub or paint her decks she performs better for weeks, a bit friskier and prouder.
I couldnt bear to change her when I had the opportunity last year, shes one of the family, one that wont grow up and leave home.
I couldnt bear to sell my previous boat, when she had to go, years after I got my present boat, I gave her to someone very keen to start sailing with his son. Little Drifter broke free from her new mooring twice, and I reckon she was trying to get home.

You have to love your boat in order to happily spend the money on them that they need.

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
The other part is also worrying - I think that sailors watch the films to see how cheaply I can do it. I think this is a sort of sadism.

True.

As for really dumping the slug... I am confident that more people would watch the films if I was sailing a more popular boat.

Doubt it.

But then I am not sure that blokes who own beautiful boats are appreciabky happier than blokes who own ugly boats.

Very true.

I personally like the fact that you get great pleasure out of keeping things simple, giving us all pleasure to share it in a small way with you.

dylanwinter

simple is good

I personally like the fact that you get great pleasure out of keeping things simple, giving us all pleasure to share it in a small way with you.

as a concept I would never abandon simple

mind you - making films is less than simple - you should see the boxes of camera gear that I move around - keeping the batteries all charged - moving memory cards around, lenses clean, cameras dry.

Maybe it looks simpler than it really is

Dylan

Redwing228

www.nationalredwing.co.uk
Realistic sailing

I do abuse the slug - and if it was a more expensive boat I could not do that - but it does seem to me that right now the people who watch the films "enjoy" the genuine lack of finances and general shoe string sailing I portray in the films.

Three years in and its still hand to mouth, actually the finances are even rockier thanks to my google encounter so I am clearly doing something wrong and not recruiting enough subscribers

However, these people

http://www.distantshores.ca/boatblog/boatblog.html

have just picked up their new Southerly 47 financed by the videos and TV shows

lovely shots of expensive boats, blue water, exotic destinations.

Dylan

Dylan, I feel that some of us enjoy what you are doing because we can identify with your rationale of sailing on a shoestring - because that is what a great deal of cruising sailors do. This is regardless of what boat you are sailing.

If you had a 'sponsored' boat you might be worrying about damaging or losing it so much that it compromises KTL by keeping you from visiting riskier creeks etc. that the Slug would take in her stride.

As for being let loose in a new Southerly with TV coverage etc. - beyond most of our wildest dreams..

ChiPete

Visit site
Anchored in Priory Bay on a busy summers eve, we took the dinghy in to the Baywatch on the Beach for an evening meal with friends. Darkness of course fell, and it suddenly accurred to me that I hadn't left the anchor light on so finding Masala Chai again might be a bit of a hunt around the anchorage (It's a demountable all round LED rigged about 8 ft from the deck using the pole up halyard so she's usually easy to spot amongst all the mast head lights).

Pootling back later, as we made our way towards the achored boats, we noticed a flashing white light on the quarter of a boat near where MC should be. Sure enough, as we got closer, it was indeed MC. She'd taken on board that the skipper was a muppet and arranged for the port-side (correct side for our approach given the state of tide) horseshoe buoy light to fall from its bracket to the deck, where it could attract our attention.

Given that we'd had her two years at this point and the buoy light had remained in place during some very heavy weather and bouncing about, tell me that's not a sentient, caring boat!

And yes, we do speak to her and she's loved to the point where SWMBON starts getting jealous :D

dylanwinter

I see the light - thanks chaps

Righto,

I now realise that I am completely out of step with most sailors - who obviously have close profound emotional relationships with their yachts.

I would like to take this opportunity to explain how much I love my boat

first of all I am going to stop calling the slug it and start calling it her

in addition I shall give her a new name

slugella

I now know that we have a deep emotional bond. As I sail along I can hear here chuckling at me - some might think its bubbles betting sucked under the bilge keels but I know better than that - is slugella burbling sweet nothings to me.

I love the way she talks to me through her rudder

and here is a freaky story - I drove down to the boat - three hours - only to find that I had forgotten the key.

I walked out to the boat, climbed aboard- touched the padlock and she had oragnised for the lock to fall apart in my hands - slugella was welcoming me aboard

I also discovered that there was no water in the bilges - slugella had pumped herself dry. She did this not because she had to.... but becuase she loves me.

There are times when I see the sun sparkling off her bog window - and it looks as though she is winking at me

ahhhh slugella - what a doll you are

I love my darling slugella. I don't just talk to her, I play my harmonica and write poetry about her

There. I have started. A new leaf. I shall push the emtional bond I have with slugella to the forefront of the films.

This is a great plan

Dylan

PS this will be the subject of my next column in the magazine

this is the last one in which I apologised for what BP did to the gulf coast

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/index.php/blogs/column-for-small-craft-advisor/

the next will be about sentimentality and the great bond of love between myself and my darling slugella

Dylan