are the real powerboaties...raggies?

G

Hi y'all, here at Antigua, last week at British Virgin Islands. I'm hioping to learn to do the dive thing (as suggested by longjohn). It's a sunsail hol, nice weather etc. moderate dump but quite fun.

Last week we rented a 411 er beneteau? I think. We had lots of fun, including goosewinging down the drake channel at 11knots in a f6-7 at 8 am xmas eve. On the last day of seven, I was beating back up (that's sailing upwind sideways or tacking for powerboaties) and losing badly to another boat, so natch, engine on boompah and lookee some of the very best tacking in the world going upwind at 9knots. Just as we had lost track of who we were chasing, small boy came up to say that it was all wet downstairs. And sure it was. The floorboards were slooshing about. I did the dazed headscratchy bit, while Mrs S grabbed her chance to pack quickly - the boat was insured but the deposit on the dinghy was $400. I found the exhaust pipe all splooshing, puttit back on, then gave them some stick back at base for having a crap bilge pump which "had blocked it's filter" they said....

Anyway anyway.. these boats,as some of you may know, are owner-leased. So somebody buys them at discount less VAT....but...the boat we rented was just over a year old...and had done 534 hours..and the engine meter was broeken. Anothe one 3 years old had done 2,500 hours. Yikes. This seems monster hours to a mere powerboatie doing 200 hours on a keen solenty year, nearer 150 in the med. Is this Sunsail? Or normal for charter sailboats? Or normal for sailboats?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I think you've answered your own question by the lenght of your post Matt. You've been away in exotic climes for weeks and all we get is a few short paras, you go away overnight with barryD and we get pages.

Praps it means that you secretly prefer cold, wet UK boating not this woofta hot Med, Caribee type stuff!!

But on second thoughts maybe it's just that you'd rather be in a nice restaurant rather than report back to us. Either way it's a pretty poor show!!!! ( Says I as I turn a lighter shade of green)

Hope you get to try the scooby doo, should be good out there. No doubt you'll report back if and when you take the plunge.

Christmas on a boat in warm waters - I thought a trip up the Exe was good!!!

chrisc

Visit site
I should think that 850 hrs a year is a lot more than most
people would do on a sailing boat ,but hired out 12months of the
year the hours does not seem unlikely, I wonder if these engines will last
longer or shorter than ,say one that does 200 a year ? after all we are
always being told that the worst thing for the diesel is standing idle.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Real boaters are those that like to sail but sick of, all the bits of string. Elastic bands for engines. Only going those places that the wind takes you. Not wanting to sit up out in the cold all night.

Haydn

ccscott49

Visit site
I whole heartedly agree, thats why I have a motor sailer, when the wind is on the snotter, I fire up one of my ample iron headsails or if I need to get somewhere, like a nice warm pub!

ArthurWood

Visit site
Re: Green

Hi LJS and Happy New Year to you. Saw white stuff on our car the other morning whilst in Atlanta. Couldn't figure out what it was. It was cold to the touch. Can you help?
AW/Florida(21C and rising)

G

Re: Green

Yes Arthur theres some white stuff over here today, can you tell me are there many Histar motor boats over there, they were made in Taiwan and apparently were a big hit in the states I believe, or you may know better than me, reason is we used to have one but not many over here.

Will be in your neck of the woods at easter 2002.
Paul js.