Are paraffin heaters dangerous

benlui

Caribbean-South IRL-East Coast UK and everywhere e
Visit site
I have a professionally fitted Taylors paraffin heater on board and since It can get quiet bad inside with fumes I'm wondering how dangerous this can be? Isn't it carbon monoxide ?
I also wonder does anyone with similar fitted heaters leave them on overnight when perhaps at anchor?
If the answers to above are nkt good, then why are the sold for small confined spaces such as boats.....
It's ever so comfy with it lighting but, I'm afraid if I fall asleep I may not wake up again!

Cymrogwyllt

Visit site
Any hydrocarbon releases water vapour and oxides of carbon when they burn. Without adequate ventillation you get damp and condensation at best and death at worst. I dare say that the ventillation point is in the manual that no one reads.

sarabande

Visit site
we have a similar Taylor's heater.

They are safe PROVIDED they are maintained properly and there is adequate ventilation. Recently, the heat exchanger failed because of rust and age, and just prior to its failure, the cabin CO (Carbon monoxide) detector began to show some interesting figures. At which point, the machine was extinguished.

So, you have a CO detector ?

Is the chimney clear of soot ?

Are the internals working properly ?

Is there any downdraught onto the chimney ?

You have decent high- and low- level ventilation ?

I lit the heater one day, (having taken the cork out of the chimney earlier) and later found that a dinghy oar had fallen right over the chimney, earning a circular black mark, and partially blocking the exhaust flow. :eek:

Visit site
Carbon monoxide has no smell so the fumes you are smelling must be something else. (That's not to say that there is no CO in addition to the fumes)

If it's that bad though then maybe the flue is choked up or there is no ventilation to let air into the boat? It shouldn't be overpowering, the vast majority of nasties should be going up the flue.

pvb

Visit site
I have a professionally fitted Taylors paraffin heater on board and since It can get quiet bad inside with fumes I'm wondering how dangerous this can be?

Sadly, "professionally fitted" doesn't mean it's properly fitted. You shouldn't be experiencing fumes, and it could be very dangerous. Suggest you get it checked by someone who knows - ask the makers for a recommendation.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
I had one of these on a previous boat. It could get quite a 'fug' going in the cabin. Any 'fumes' should be going up the chimney as long as you have an air inlet into the cabin space. I did once light the heater and then went onto a neighbouring boat for a drink. Whilst I was away the gallery on the heater must have cooled enough to prevent the paraffin from vapourising and it started to burn liquid fuel. This of course burns with a yellow, very sooty, flame. When I returned to the boat, every surface in the cabin was covered with a fine black scum. It took the next three weekends of washing and scrubbing to get all that s*** off. So, no, don't light it and leave it overnight. In fact don't leave it at all.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Hi, for heat when away from shorepower I purchased a "Corona" parafin heater with a carbon fibre wick. It uses Tozane reduced odour liquid fuel- a bit expensive but very little smell.It has a motion sensor to put it out if it moves too much which limits its use on a bumpy mooring. This, however has not been an issue in the two winters we have used it.It heats our boat quickly and fairly economicaly. I make sure to run the fuel level down before switching off to avoid leakage when sailing.The removable fuel tank is hung in the starboard lazarette in a cut down oil container to catch any-so far non existant-drips.I NEVER leave it on while sleeping and always ensure there is an excess of ventilation. As it produces a great deal of heat,most of which goes up to the ceiling, a small cowl and fan looks a likely mod. for next winter to push the heat around at a lower level. Moisture has not been a problem so far,despite my concerns in this area. I used four self adhesive felt pads on its base to avoid damage to the sole and some foam padding and a shockcord with hooks keep it firmly in place even in heavy weather. Thoroughly reccomended. Google Corona heater and take a look.

huldah

Visit site
In a perfect situation, hot air rises up the chimney, however, this can be counteracted by other factors. Air pressure at the top of a chimney must not exceed that of the cabin, otherwise the flow may reversed. If the rear of a boat is open and facing away from the wind, the pressure in the cabin may be lowered and become dangerous.