Anyone using Yellowbrick trackers?

pcatterall

Visit site
One didn't appear in my Christmas stocking but perhaps an early birthday pressie....hint Gwyneth hint........
I have read the blurb and used them to monitor races. They seem a great way of letting friends and relatives know where you are.
Some questions though..

Have they realistic value as a safety device

What happens to the information when it is sent to 'Yellowbrick base' do they add it to the sort of chart I see fro races or does the recipient have to have Google earth or something.

Can they send a simple message with position speed etc. but no picture so we can get it as a phone message.

Are emails sent direct or again through Yellow brick

Can I have multiple recipients

Will appreciate any advice.

Chalker

Visit site
I've used a yellowbrick on the ARC and my 'shorecrew' liked it. I'll use it in the Pacific where SPOT does not work. SPOT shows as iffy mid Atlantic, in fact it worked well.

It covers the world, do you need it?

Look at SPOT. It covers the UK and western Europe well and has a fixed cost per year, irrespective of how often you push OK button that sends a position and OK message to up to 10 email addresses.
Yellowbrick sends a position report at pre-defined intervals and each one costs you. You need to stop it between trips.

For the UK and European use SPOT does a good job, just push the button yourself. If you absolutely must have the fixed interval automatic report or reliably in the Pacific, then yellowbrick may be the answer

I'd get a SPOT.

Malcolm3

Visit site
Yellowbricks are easy to use. Recharge every few weeks from 12v cigarette lighter socket. Are waterproof but also work below mostly.
Reliably send updates of position and you can set the frequency of reporting.

You pay by advance purchase for each poll but fairly cheap and it's easily switched on and off so you don't have to if not using

Emergency alerts are not like an epirb to the coastguard but can be to any mobile phone by SMS and you can programme several but like any other SMS depends on the receiver looking at it and knowing what to do

The plotted positions can be easily linked to the boats website.

Phone them and they will give you more details.

Allan

Visit site
Sober again! During our Atlantic trip we used a Delorme In reach. I looked at Spot and Yellowbrick before deciding on the Inreach. It was a matter of price and capabilities. There was little between the three but we felt the Inreach just edged it. We had a friend sending coded weather information on request.
Our track should still be on here:
Share.delorme.com/JohnSearle
Allan

dmmbruce

Visit site
Sober again! During our Atlantic trip we used a Delorme In reach. I looked at Spot and Yellowbrick before deciding on the Inreach. It was a matter of price and capabilities. There was little between the three but we felt the Inreach just edged it. We had a friend sending coded weather information on request.
Our track should still be on here:
Share.delorme.com/JohnSearle
Allan

Allan, it is still working, you haven't turned it off!

You are in what appears to be an industrial estate in northern Poole.

:encouragement:

Mike

bstamp

Visit site
Hi

Sorry to reply to a old thread but thought my experience might still be of interest. I used a Yellowbrick tracker during a yacht delivery from the UK to Sydney, Australia last year. It worked well, both in providing regular position updates (that friends and family enjoyed) and in sending text messages and short emails. I had the Standard version which includes Bluetooth and can be paired with a smartphone - there's currently apps for Iphones and Android phones. This worked really well and was a relatively cheap way to stay in touch, even below 40 degrees south in the Southern Ocean when we'd lost our Immarsat Fleet Broadband connection.

My tracker is now listed in the For Sale section - its still available so if your interested make me an offer

Regards,
Bryan