Anyone tried the mozzie nets that attach from inside with sucker on glass?

brownsox

Visit site
Instinctive distrust of suckers ...
But we have 4 x 30cm square hatches and no-one seems to do the weighted hem outside type for that size.
Thanks

Ideas for DIY also welcome.

temptress

gbr195t.com
Instinctive distrust of suckers ...
But we have 4 x 30cm square hatches and no-one seems to do the weighted hem outside type for that size.
Thanks

Ideas for DIY also welcome.

We tried and found that they were unless. The Admiral made nets to cover the hatches. ....
Mind you I got eaten alive last night. Seems the muzzles here in Fiji have found a way in.

[29051]

Visit site
You can buy the netting on eBay, possibly cheaper to buy a net and chop it up. Also the lead string by the metre - search for curtain lead string. Ours were cheese-wedge shape, so a square the size of the hatch with one rectangular side the height of the opening, and two triangular sides, then lead string all round. Better a bit baggy so that they fit easily with no gaps.

typhoonNige

Visit site
We used them for a while but the "sucker" didn't hold, the wire "frame" rusted out after a year or so and the netting was prone to tearing easily. We have now made our own with leaded hems.

Carmel2

Visit site
We have had them on for about a month now, and they work well. The key to the sucker bit is to make sure the window is very clean, also the sucker. I agree they are not that well made, and if they see the end of the year I will be surprised, but in the meantime we have not had one bite between us.

BTW, If you have a hand held hoover, try catching them with that, much more fun! And they see oblivious to the noise, plus you don't get splat marks all over the place.

Last edited:

brownsox

Visit site
Brilliant thanks. I suspected as much. And sandydog thanks for the simple instructions for DIY - obvious really I suppose but very encouraging. Will my ancient basic sewing machine sew mozzie net I wonder? I will experiment.

[29051]

Visit site
If it struggles to stitch it without bunching up try putting tissue paper over the netting, stitch through both layers and rip the paper off afterwards.

Tengy

Visit site
We use them. As Carmel said, if the windows are clean, they stick without problems. One thing I would say is that they need to be stored flat when not in use (unless you can fold them exactly as they were before), otherwise they don't sit flat and can let mozzies in at the corners!

STILL AFLOAT

Visit site
It is a waste of money gimmic.
You can buy mozzie netting by the meter, some is like white linen, some is a sort of green nylon.
I prefer the white linen looking stuff, since the green nylon stuff, gets brittle over time, exposed to the sun.
Yes, to anchor the nets, irrespective of where ...... you need to sort out a mix of the lead curtain stuff, and bungee cord
Cos every hatch & opening, is different.
Just look at the size of the suckers, then where the mozzie net is !
Loads o room , to get in !
Bite Bite Itch Itch !
Like a bullet proof vest, with holes in it !

Last edited: