Anyone Tried the cheap N2k engine monitor on ebay?

jwfrary

Visit site
Yeah does indeed.

I expect you get what you pay for, but when you need an ngw-1 to program the actisense one the cost starts to mount!

vas

Visit site
interesting,

if you're thinking of going ahead, contact the guy and try to find out how you're meant to configure the various inputs, they are neither linear nor similar, so unless you tune somehow you'll get silly values for both oil pressure and temps, not talking about tanks, rudders, etc.
Remember actisense and noland have usb ports and dedicated s/w to tune the devices.
Looks cheap and will most likely be rather rough in values pumped to the bus.

a pic of the internals would be interesting to see what h/w it's sporting

cheers

V.

jwfrary

Visit site
interesting,

if you're thinking of going ahead, contact the guy and try to find out how you're meant to configure the various inputs, they are neither linear nor similar, so unless you tune somehow you'll get silly values for both oil pressure and temps, not talking about tanks, rudders, etc.
Remember actisense and noland have usb ports and dedicated s/w to tune the devices.

cheers

V.

interesting,

cheers

V.
Yes usb on the noland but not on the actisense, you have to buy another box n2k to usb.

yeah realise it’s going to be linear values. Get what you pay for don’t you!

Getting data into the signal k servers a bit of an addiction....spent the evening recreating the wind plot page of the latest b&g stuff in graphana. I’ll share them when I have polished them!

superheat6k

Visit site
Like Vas I fitted the Noland RS11 to my Turbo 36, and it was great for what it was, albeit a bit pricey, but once set up was very reliable. I suspect the issue with this one will be the inability to do much with it, and many of the pre-selected channels are of low interest.

IMHO it should have water flow and exhaust bend temperature inputs as well as the more normal oil pressure and engine temperature, or attunable inputs so you can pick what you specifically require.

The monitor I am developing will have 32 active programmable inputs, plus almost limitless derived inputs and alarms, and will include remote two way 4G access and wil include mains power, bilge and burglar alarm, and will be allied also to security and external cameras . But this would not be a cheap system, with the hardware retailing to our Industry for ~ £1,200 excluding cameras, 4G router, the install and programming.

Just seen the unit here is Matsutec, so it will likely be reliable.

Reactions: vas

jwfrary

Visit site
I'd take a look at Yacht Devices engine gateway.

Engine Gateway for Volvo Penta and J1939 engines

thanks, yes looking at older engines, and the real basic data, oil pressure, temp senders, wet exhaust temp and egt.
non turbo so inlet temp isn’t going to tell you a lot and fuel flows difficult when the rates are so low.

put the new Cummins c commands in a boat not long ago and that now has n2k straight off the loom. Very handy.

harvey38

Visit site
Just reawakening this thread-

I originally planned to go with Noland as having contacted their Customer service they were quick to respond and answered my query but I have since come across another such
device - AlbaCombi Translate analogue to nmea2000 converter

This has the ability to transfer more analogue to N2K information, the ability to customise it to include EGT etc, set over/under parameter alarms such as voltage & temperatures so overall APPEARS to be at the forefront of the other producers, Actisence, Noland, Ebay specials etc.

I've read quite a few informative reviews but wondered if anyone here has any constructive comments either way.

vas

Visit site
from a 5min look around their blog, looks like a good un!
even has preconfigured mappings for various VDO senders, so you can pick yours and get decent accuracy.
Decent interface to configure RPM and the rest if you want to go custom.
I guess will be happy with twin engine installation, so go ahead and let us know :)

Bikerwookie

Visit site
I have the cx5003. The unit is great with one engine but I wanted to use the second engine temperature input as an exhaust temperature monitor. I cannot seem to get the second engine temp or oil pressure to display on my simrad nss and b&g vulcan plotters. Not sure if it’s the cx5003 or the simrad that has the issues. I can display tilt on both port and starboard channels.other than that it works great.
Any ideas how to get the second temperature input to show - have got the plotter set to two engines but no data popping up on the sources?

Turnipisum

Visit site
Not long got one of these cx5003 for £11.87 off Amazon lol, price mistake! Gonna see if i can get it to work on my Garmin gpsmap 923xsv and i will let you know the outcome.

Bikerwookie

Visit site
Not long got one of these cx5003 for £11.87 off Amazon lol, price mistake! Gonna see if i can get it to work on my Garmin gpsmap 923xsv and i will let you know the outcome.
If you can try the temperature input on both sides of the unit and report back it would be appreciated. Mine only works on the right as you look at it.

Last edited:

Turnipisum

Visit site
Well it works with my Garmin 923xsv. Just fitted it last week connected rpm, trim and fuel tank sensor so far. Just need to change dip switches for rpm for my outboard so the range is correct, run out of time last week.
Need to get a temp and oil pressure sensor at some point but they should work fine. I will let you know @Bikerwookie when i get a sensor to try.

ajmevans

Visit site
If you can try the temperature input on both sides of the unit and report back it would be appreciated. Mine only works on the right as you look at it.
Hooked up port engine to temp and pressure, worked fine (once I realized you have to disconnect original gauges), but starboard side is dead, even switched inputs over, but nothing. I see there are quite a few people mentioning the same issue. Maybe the only solution is to buy two? something is not translating, my are going to Raymarine C/E127. If only. I know some of the more expensive alternative say you can leave your arignal gauges connected???....as the others, anyone got any ideas. BTW both engine tamp and oil pressure were spot on.

StevenJ

Visit site
I have setup a large sensor network on my boat using SignalK and SensESP. Just bought one of these as too lazy to write more code for the engine tach etc. Will report back when installed, the SignalK server will show all pins coming in from the device, so should be able to confirm if there is a starboard issue.