Anyone tried a gas hob replacement parts hack?

yodave

Visit site
I'm seeking to upgrade our cooker hob to make it fit for the 2020's.

Our two-burner hob is integrated into the sink and draining board, which is built into the galley wood work. Therefore, changing the hob seems to mean changing the sink plus rest of the galley too.

So... does anyone know whether it's feasible to upgrade what I have in situ, by replacing only the hob parts?

To be clear, I'm not proposing to do this myself; it would be done professionally. The circular stainless steel bowls seen on the image have a 20 cm outer diameter and are approximately 1" deep. It seems at least feasible that these could be swapped out. Or, maybe the central hob burner rings could be replaced?

Anyone actually tried/done this?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

20210227_152314small.jpg

Boathook

Visit site
Depending upon the make and model you might be able to get spares and get it rebuilt. That is likely to cost more than buying a new unit though. Have checked on caravan sites to see what they have. If they are there ,I suspect that they are no different in quality of parts, etc.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I am using a domestic hob jetted for LPG.

The burner consist of a jet and a gas distribution casting with a separate cover.

I would remove the burner arrangement to see how yours id made and take then to a gas cooker repair shop and see if they had any suitable replacements

By the looks a good clean may make the burner work better if that the problem.

yodave

Visit site
Thanks Boathook: It's pretty old and there's no obvious maker visible. We bought our yacht in the Netherlands, so I'm assuming replacement parts won't be available.

Thanks also Rogershaw: I'm not knowledgeable about the parts and how they're assembled, but from what you're saying, it sounds as though there might be some hope of replacing the burner parts alone. That's encouraging, and what I was hoping to find out.

yodave

Visit site
Just to confirm Rogershaw, that 'the problem' relates to the cooker having a flame failure device. I don't think ours does, and we need that to comply with current safety standards [not to mention reducing the risk of injury and death].

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Try taking the burner apart to see what is under and what needs fixing

You can get flame failure devices to fit. I had an old 2 burner , grill and oven on my previous boat and got some flame failure devices and fitted them.

Propane lpg gas fire pit control safety valve flame failure device cock gas heater valve with thermocouple and knob

ila-8096-1.jpg

Flame Failure Devices | Gas Catering Equipment | gasproducts.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldie

Visit site
Not local to ‘up North’ but you could do worse than chat to David Stopard at MSEL Southampton. He updated ours beautifully - it should last me out!

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I rebuilt our Taylors a couple of years ago. I seem to remember that I matched the parts up on the Calor Southampton website. Many of the burners and flame failure devices aren't original to a particular manufacturer and I found our Taylors stove used a mixture of stuff that was then used by Plastimo and others. I managed to source all the parts I needed and our cooker is now like new again. I expect it will be the same for yours. The Dutch builders of the stove (assuming it is a Dutch cooker) will have bought in parts from wherever they could get them.

yodave

Visit site
Thanks Goldie. Encouraging to know that repair and refurb is feasible.

Thanks john_morris_uk. That's really interesting to know, and gives hope that parts could be interchangeable. Not sure if it's a Dutch cooker. The boat was supplied new to the Netherlands, but built on the south coast at Macwester ...so if it's the original hob, then it'll be British.

Thanks also to Rogershaw for the flame failure device link on post #6.

I spent some time scoping out the job yesterday from canister to the hob. I know I'm going to need a gas safe registered engineer at some point, and having looked at what's there, I think given my skill set, the next step is to choose a local engineer that's qualified to work on boats and take it from there.

Thanks to everyone; it's been really useful to understand what's possible. That's made a difference to how I'm going to proceed.

Fair winds and following seas!!

yodave

Visit site
Thanks Yellow Ballad, and MikeBrazier: Good thoughts. I previously looked at replacing the whole unit, but that means reworking the whole galley, as the existing unit is inbuilt, and replacement units tend to be more compact. Yes, it's an opportunity to upgrade, however I have a lot on the go at the moment, so repairing what's there makes more sense. Thanks again!!