Anyone into fishing?

coliholic

Visit site
Bestest mate's had a bad time of it recently, he's just undergone stem cell replacement and chemo for bone cancer and has lost all his hair. Seems to be improving from the cancer but is mentally really down. So I've been trying to think of something to "snap him out of it".

His only real hobby is fishing and I suggested to him that we go on a day's fly fishing at Grafham or Rutland but he's not keen on fly fishing, coarse fishing's his thing.

So the question is anyone know a really good coarse fishing lake or river not too far from St Neots, Cambridgeshire? Sort of a couple of hours drive would be OK.

Or of course any other ideas

Oh and not sea fishing. We tried that a few years ago and he spent most of the time heaving up over the side

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Bestest mate's had a bad time of it recently, he's just undergone stem cell replacement and chemo for bone cancer and has lost all his hair. Seems to be improving from the cancer but is mentally really down. So I've been trying to think of something to "snap him out of it".

His only real hobby is fishing and I suggested to him that we go on a day's fly fishing at Grafham or Rutland but he's not keen on fly fishing, coarse fishing's his thing.

So the question is anyone know a really good coarse fishing lake or river not too far from St Neots, Cambridgeshire? Sort of a couple of hours drive would be OK.

Oh and not sea fishing. We tried that a few years ago and he spent most of the time heaving up over the side

We live just outside Wisbech and our boat is based at Shotley.

We'd be more than happy for you both to join us for a days boat fishing, if you think he'd be up to it. Plenty of spare tackle on the boat and the bait freezer is full.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
We live just outside Wisbech and our boat is based at Shotley.

We'd be more than happy for you both to join us for a days boat fishing, if you think he'd be up to it. Plenty of spare tackle on the boat and the bait freezer is full.

What a kind offer. If he had been in my neck of the wood I would have suggested something similar. But as I have this 500 metre fish free zone around my boat, he will have had a cr&p day. :(

oGaryo

Visit site

you're not a million miles away from me, there's 'alot' of excellent fishing venues around our area.. I'd recommend the great ouse for river fishing or if your friend fancies it, I have a lifetime debenture at a very good venue that has 9 lakes and a 2 mile stretch of the Great Ouse to fish.. it's Great Linford Lakes complex and I am more than happy to guest you two or have a word with the owner to see if he can do something for you if I cannot make it

http://www.linfordlakes.co.uk/1206.html

If that doesn't take your fancy, have a look at the RMC Angling website, they'll have plenty of options near and far.

http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/venue_guide.php?function=list&groupid=1

Last edited:

coliholic

Visit site
Wow, what can I say to Paul and Gary? Your generosity is overwhelming.

OK if I come back to you both in a couple of weeks or so when maybe it'll be a bit warmer and he might feel more inclined to spend a couple of hours worm drowning?

And thanks Neale too, I'll put that on my lsit as well. And of course mustn't forget to thank the Major - thanks.,

And thanks again for all kind comments, especially the folks who pm'd me with messages of support for my mate.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Wow, what can I say to Paul and Gary? Your generosity is overwhelming.

OK if I come back to you both in a couple of weeks or so when maybe it'll be a bit warmer and he might feel more inclined to spend a couple of hours worm drowning?

And thanks Neale too, I'll put that on my lsit as well. And of course mustn't forget to thank the Major - thanks.,

And thanks again for all kind comments, especially the folks who pm'd me with messages of support for my mate.

It's an open invite Col, and it would be my pleasure, any time he fancies it/feels up to it. Won't be many weeks before it's a bit warmer and a few Bass show in the Suffolk rivers. An afternoon of trolling might suit him.

burgundyben

Visit site
What is coarse fishing?

Is it stand on the bank of the lake shout come you ****ing lousy **** for fish, take the ******* bait?

I'd find that pretty good therapy for most things.

Philiz

www.shabiera.co.uk
It's an open invite Col, and it would be my pleasure, any time he fancies it/feels up to it. Won't be many weeks before it's a bit warmer and a few Bass show in the Suffolk rivers. An afternoon of trolling might suit him.

Just in case The Major's confused, Bass is a type of fish ;)

Well done guys by the way, what a kind bunch you are.