Anybody fancy a sail (with stops) from Chichester to Aberystwyth?

LadyGales

Visit site
Hi everyone. I’m picking up a new boat (Arpege Defour 30) on Friday and need to bring it upto Aberystwyth… but I’m pretty sure I’d end up scattered along the bitches somewhere if I did it solo!

Anybody or any bodies want to join?

Many thanks :)

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I think that Saltire is putting it a bit strongly, but unless you have previously sailed the boat before (and for more that 1/2 an hour), I have doubts about your passage plan, if that's what the map indicates.

I strongly recommend you spend the first few days trying the boat out, working out what works and what doesn't, and any adjustments/alterations/maintenance you need to do, ideally around the place you are picking the boat up, or at least doing short hops at first to easy to access places with access to chandlers and engineers in case you need them - e.g. Solent, Poole. Bear in mind the potential to, and advantages of, of stopping at e.g. Dartmouth or Salcombe, somewhere in S. Cornall, and perhaps somewhere like Milford Haven.

I think it is extremely unlikely you will do the trip in the three days shown on the map, unless the weather is perfect and in your favour, and nothing issues arise with the either the boat or the crew.

All that said, I might well have been up for it except that I'm otherwise occupied around those dates.

Good luck anyway.

LadyGales

Visit site
The boat is on the water and regularly sailed
A maiden voyage round Lands End in an unproven boat whose defects you haven't uncovered seems risky. Are you offering danger money to any crew willing to accompany you?
Thanks for your comment. It’s already in the water and sailed regularly. Payment was negotiable but ideally around £2000 - not for “danger money” as the boat is proven safe, but more because this is how much transport would cost me, and even though I will be sailing much of the way… I’m quite anxious so can be kind of useless in stressful situations. Just being honest. Sorry I wasn’t aware I had to post all details in the thread, I thought if people were interested they’d enquire. Many thanks again

LadyGales

Visit site
I think that Saltire is putting it a bit strongly, but unless you have previously sailed the boat before (and for more that 1/2 an hour), I have doubts about your passage plan, if that's what the map indicates.

I strongly recommend you spend the first few days trying the boat out, working out what works and what doesn't, and any adjustments/alterations/maintenance you need to do, ideally around the place you are picking the boat up, or at least doing short hops at first to easy to access places with access to chandlers and engineers in case you need them - e.g. Solent, Poole. Bear in mind the potential to, and advantages of, of stopping at e.g. Dartmouth or Salcombe, somewhere in S. Cornall, and perhaps somewhere like Milford Haven.

I think it is extremely unlikely you will do the trip in the three days shown on the map, unless the weather is perfect and in your favour, and nothing issues arise with the either the boat or the crew.

All that said, I might well have been up for it except that I'm otherwise occupied around those dates.

Good luck anyway.
Nooo, sorry that is not the passage plan!! Lol. It was showing where I’m going from and to :) there will be stops. Marinas ideally, but I’d like to practice anchoring so I’d like to do anchorage’s also so that’s quite important to me. Also waits for weather I’m guessing. I don’t mind how long it takes or how fast it goes either. I just fancied sailing it up rather than getting it transported

LadyGales

Visit site

Good luck anyway.
And thank you for your kind comment. Also probably I should add that I have prebooked 4 days visitor at Chichester and they said I can make it more if necessary, mostly for loading provisions and plucking up the courage to drag it out of Chichester :) Ive not heard many good things about the solent!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Ive not heard many good things about the solent!

The Solent is a great cruising ground, with lots of different types of places to stop, a lot of services available close at hand, and some good scenery and other interest. There are a lot more boats around than most other places, and perhaps a little more in the way of aggressive boat-handling, but it's quite manageable, and the biggest downsides for a short trip are high prices and a need to be at the popular places early to be sure of a spot (though you're never far from somewhere else if it's already full).

No need to avoid.

ashtead

Visit site
Had you thought of contacting a professional delivery company who might be a able to source an experienced grey beard who has made the trip proposed. They can also check out safety kit on your new purchase etc and advise on what’s missing maybe ? This way you gain experience from a qualified yacht master type who also has experience of ports on your journey. As to timing how long are you happy sailing per day ? You might look at utube vids by Concerto as he has visited most places on his trip around the UK. Apologies if you have many years sailing experience etc and this is all basic stuff but currently as presented maybe you won’t get many takers. Don’t be afraid of Solent -just be planning on booking a berth in Lymington or Yarmouth etc and getting through needles to say Portland/Weymouth and planning next stop thereafter- clearly if you have the stamina to just keep going ports might not be so important but I would have thought smallish hops per day is way to go.

dunedin

Visit site
Hope you enjoy your new boat.

You refer to getting tomorrow and implied a plan of setting off on Saturday. I assume you are aware that this Saturday 1st July is the Round the (southern) Island Race, so probably the busiest day of the year in the Solent. Best to use to familiarise in Chichester harbour perhaps.

The boat is on the water and regularly sailed
Has it been regularly sailed by YOU? Sadly delivery trips of newly purchased boats are one of the most common reasons for MayDay calls, sometimes involving loss of the boat.
As others have suggested, worth taking your time and getting familiarity cruising around the Solent to Poole area before venturing further afield. This will allow you to get familiar with the boat and its equipment, and learn any quirks. Ideally ask the previous owner to come for a day sail with you to learn some of these quirks.
Plenty of summer left to subsequently do the longer and more exposed legs.