Any sail makers out there

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
Would putting a square top main on an old (slowish) boat like a Sadler 29 make it significantly faster? I've just bought a boat and a previous owner was a sail maker, hence it comes with conventional and square top main. It's a Nordic Family boat I plan to do some clube racing with. I guess the handicap penalty will rule out any benefits apart from in light wind where the area gigh up could help?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I don’t think there's an advantage for you, realistically. Obviously the boat will achieve hull speed with a standard main. You might, as you say, make a small gain in light airs, but it will be handicapped. A code zero would do you better in light winds, and you could choose whether or not to have it included in your handicap. I’m not a current sailmaker, but I have done the job, and sold/used square top mains, including my current sail. On a different kind of boat though.

Birdseye

Visit site
Would putting a square top main on an old (slowish) boat like a Sadler 29 make it significantly faster? I've just bought a boat and a previous owner was a sail maker, hence it comes with conventional and square top main. It's a Nordic Family boat I plan to do some clube racing with. I guess the handicap penalty will rule out any benefits apart from in light wind where the area gigh up could help?
What class of racing. Under NHC there is no handicap penalty but the handicap adjusts over time to reflect how well you sail. If indeed it is an old small boat of 29ft loa, you could of course get it rated under IRC when the square top would be taken into account but relistically you wouldnt have much racing fun in fleets full or racers or cruiser racers. I occasionally see this - someone entering IRC races against say 40/45 ft firsts in a boat like an old Sadler and coming to the finishing line an hour after the rest of the fleet. Where is the fun in that? Its not even fair competition because in a strong tide much bigger boats have a big advantage.
To be fun, racing has to be against similar boats IMO

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
What class of racing. Under NHC there is no handicap penalty but the handicap adjusts over time to reflect how well you sail. If indeed it is an old small boat of 29ft loa, you could of course get it rated under IRC when the square top would be taken into account but relistically you wouldnt have much racing fun in fleets full or racers or cruiser racers. I occasionally see this - someone entering IRC races against say 40/45 ft firsts in a boat like an old Sadler and coming to the finishing line an hour after the rest of the fleet. Where is the fun in that? Its not even fair competition because in a strong tide much bigger boats have a big advantage.
To be fun, racing has to be against similar boats IMO
It's in Sweden so it'll be SRS or LYS and here there are many different boats in the under 10m lengths all going to be very similar speeds so hopefully plenty to be close to on the water. NF has quite a big one design group so an old main might be needed for that. It'll be interseting to see where we come against the other 1980 cruisers of which there are many out club racing. I need to talk to the club when they open for the 23 season I think.

Ingwe

Visit site
Just a thought but if the boat is in Sweden did the previous owner switch to square top to get more sail area higher up because they were spending a lot of time very close to land so wanted as much sail as possible in less disturbed air?

Neil_Y

www.h4marine.com
Just a thought but if the boat is in Sweden did the previous owner switch to square top to get more sail area higher up because they were spending a lot of time very close to land so wanted as much sail as possible in less disturbed air?
Quite possibly, the many low lying islands mean there is often no breeze at sea level but more higher up.

flaming

Visit site
Square tops are more efficient. Is it perhaps about the same area but with a shorter foot?