Any recommendations for an Algarve Marina for 2016/17

White Angel

Visit site
Check your policy if you're with Pants. When I looked at it, no cover if the boat hadn't been inspected every 28 days max.

That's very interesting. I am with Pantaenius as they seem the least restrictive on single handing. e.g. Ok about crossing Biscay. I'll talk to them as it seems odd. It's not uncommon for many people not to visit their boats for more than a month in the winter. Perhaps marina staff on patrol count as an inspection.

White Angel

Visit site
Check your policy if you're with Pants. When I looked at it, no cover if the boat hadn't been inspected every 28 days max.

Spoke to Pantaenius, and they said the offending clause has now been removed and not replaced with anything else. It is in my current policy, and they said they would write to say it no longer applies. I also found the clause on their website, and they claimed they would investigate, as it should no longer be there.

Panic over...... Phew!

GrahamM376

Visit site
Spoke to Pantaenius, and they said the offending clause has now been removed and not replaced with anything else. It is in my current policy, and they said they would write to say it no longer applies. I also found the clause on their website, and they claimed they would investigate, as it should no longer be there.

Panic over...... Phew!

That's good news. Some other insurers have changed their policy wording over the last couple of years due to customer pressure, particularly regarding "corrosion" or "gradual deterioration".

[27631]

N/A
Visit site
Could go to Ayamonte on Spanish side of Guadiana...recently dredged....1/4 hr on ferry..about 1 1/2 hrs on bus or train to Faro...cost about Eur 10..and it is an EPPA marina..you will get a very good rate..can then sail along Spanish coast,along the Algarve...or go up the Guadiana..which is definately worth doing.

White Angel

Visit site
Could go to Ayamonte on Spanish side of Guadiana...recently dredged....1/4 hr on ferry..about 1 1/2 hrs on bus or train to Faro...cost about Eur 10..and it is an EPPA marina..you will get a very good rate..can then sail along Spanish coast,along the Algarve...or go up the Guadiana..which is definately worth doing.
Sounds an interesting option. My navionics chart and almanac list it as too shallow for my 2.1m draft. Do you know the new dredged depth?

nortada

Visit site
Have a look at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?338051-The-Truth-About-Sailing-On-The-Algarve, it might answer some of your questions and http://lagosnavigators.freeforums.org/cruising-feedback-f27.html could help.

We have been in Lagos some time, probably the most social marina during the winter season (16 Sep-16 Jun).

About 1 mile up the Bensafrim River it is totally secure in all weather conditions, which can't be said for either Portimao or some berths in Albuferia.

The railway station is right by the marina so many use the train to transit between Lagos and Faro, There is also an EVA bus service.

If you have any further questions regarding Lagos please just ask.

Last edited:

White Angel

Visit site
Have a look at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?338051-The-Truth-About-Sailing-On-The-Algarve, it might answer some of your questions and http://lagosnavigators.freeforums.org/cruising-feedback-f27.html could help.

We have been in Lagos some time, probably the most social marina during the winter season (16 Sep-16 Jun).

About 1 mile up the Bensafrim River it is totally secure in all weather conditions, which can't be said for either Portimao or some berths in Albuferia.

The railway station is right by the marina so many use the train to transit between Lagos and Faro, There is also an EVA bus service.

If you have any further questions regarding Lagos please just ask.

Thanks. I will.

[27631]

N/A
Visit site
I was in Ayamonte on the 15th Nov 2015..just over 2 months ago and the dredging was taking place while I was there....also marina is in the middle of the town...a very nice spanish town...supermarkets,chandlers. etc 5-10 mins walk...ferry to VR SanAntonio ..10 mins walk.And far far cheaper than Lagos or some of the other alternatives offered here.Perhaps some of the forum memebers who are up the Guadiana at Alcotim could update you on progress...but they were doing the dredging while I was there...theres a chap called Ludd..or Rev.Ludd on here could probably give you an update...

White Angel

Visit site
I was in Ayamonte on the 15th Nov 2015..just over 2 months ago and the dredging was taking place while I was there....also marina is in the middle of the town...a very nice spanish town...supermarkets,chandlers. etc 5-10 mins walk...ferry to VR SanAntonio ..10 mins walk.And far far cheaper than Lagos or some of the other alternatives offered here.Perhaps some of the forum memebers who are up the Guadiana at Alcotim could update you on progress...but they were doing the dredging while I was there...theres a chap called Ludd..or Rev.Ludd on here could probably give you an update...

I'm visiting the area to have a look, flying out tomorrow. I'll be sure to include Ayamonte in the places I visit. I'll ask them about the depth when I'm there.

Thanks.

[27631]

N/A
Visit site
Ayamonte ...Justchecked and 10-12 metre one night rate incl elec,water etc was about Euro 14 a night...so I would expect the long term rate for 1st Oct to 30th April to be about 50% of that...You can find the EPPA rates on the internet...not sure of accurate web address...someone here will help with that.....Regards.

White Angel

Visit site
Ayamonte ...Justchecked and 10-12 metre one night rate incl elec,water etc was about Euro 14 a night...so I would expect the long term rate for 1st Oct to 30th April to be about 50% of that...You can find the EPPA rates on the internet...not sure of accurate web address...someone here will help with that.....Regards.

Sounds great value. My Solent marina renewal was £6k for 2016/17

Heckler

Visit site
I dont understand the Ayamonte thing, I was there last summer, 11.5 mtrs was thirty odd euros a night, I asked the port captain in the marina about yearly rates, he said dont bother, it will be too expensive! It was! Have they changed since?
S

GrahamM376

Visit site
I dont understand the Ayamonte thing, I was there last summer, 11.5 mtrs was thirty odd euros a night, I asked the port captain in the marina about yearly rates, he said dont bother, it will be too expensive! It was! Have they changed since?
S

+1

€30+ in summer, obviously cheaper in winter but was told the long term discount stopped a couple of years ago, that's why the place is 2/3 empty.

Sandyman

Visit site
+1

€30+ in summer, obviously cheaper in winter but was told the long term discount stopped a couple of years ago, that's why the place is 2/3 empty.

Seem to recall someone saying they had re-introduced the discounts because the place was near on empty.

[27631]

N/A
Visit site
They have reintroduced the discounts....my day rate was obviously in November..so was the winter rate.The Capitania there made it clear I could have a much cheaper rate if I stayed longer.It is an EPPA marina...State of Andalucia...just like Barbate,Rota,Chipiona,Mazagon etc.

[27631]

N/A
Visit site
...Additionally you have to just arrive,turn up...waste of time phoning or email...The Capitania there is an OK guy as it happens.