Any recommendations for an Algarve Marina for 2016/17

White Angel

Visit site
I'm thinking of leaving my 37' sailing boat in the Algarve for about 9 months from Sept to May, and would welcome any thoughts and recommendations.

I expect to fly to and fro the uk a few times, so easy links to an airport matter. As I won't be there all the time, security and safety in all weather conditions are important to me. I had considered Portimao but have been put off by talk off bad swell in some conditions.

Comments great fully received.

Thanks in advance.

Sandyman

Visit site
On the hard at Nave Pegos. Bruces Yard Faro. We are there at the moment.
Excellent security with CCTV cameras. Secure yard. Excellent staff. Good price.
Don't think you will find better on this coast.

White Angel

Visit site
Thanks. It looks good, and great for Faro airport, but I was hoping to sail during the 9 mths, I thought about 6 times, so thought staying afloat might be better than multiple lift outs and launches. But I'm going to visit the area by car next week, so I'll have a look.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Thanks. It looks good, and great for Faro airport, but I was hoping to sail during the 9 mths, I thought about 6 times, so thought staying afloat might be better than multiple lift outs and launches. But I'm going to visit the area by car next week, so I'll have a look.

I'm a a few yards from Sandyman in Bruces. Nearest the airport is Vilamoura if you like lots of noisy bars. Best sheltered marina and also 2nd nearest the airport is Albufeira, second for shelter is Lagos but it's furthest away. Personally wouldn't leave a boat unattended in Vila Real or Portimao as both can get very rough in bad weather,

White Angel

Visit site
Thanks much appreciated. I had fancied Portamāo, but wouldn't sleep at nights if I thought the boat was being tossed around in bad weather. Would the noisy places still be noisy out of season?

Sandyman

Visit site
Not forgetting that VRSA increased berthing charges by 25% on 1st January.
Agree with Grahams comments about Portimao. Saw the damaged fueling jetty
after storms in 2013.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Not forgetting that VRSA increased berthing charges by 25% on 1st January.
Agree with Grahams comments about Portimao. Saw the damaged fueling jetty
after storms in 2013.

Not only the fuel jetty, boats were floating around still attached to fingers which had broken off. IIRC 2 of the walkway bridges were in the water. Mate had fairleads rippped out of the toe rail.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Thanks much appreciated. I had fancied Portamāo, but wouldn't sleep at nights if I thought the boat was being tossed around in bad weather. Would the noisy places still be noisy out of season?

Obviously not as noisy but I'm biased, just can't stand the place, it's posers paradise with lots of large gin palaces. Albufeira marina OTOH is like a graveyard in winter but there's life in the town 20 min walk away. Stu will most likely be along to comment, he's based there.

White Angel

Visit site
Obviously not as noisy but I'm biased, just can't stand the place, it's posers paradise with lots of large gin palaces. Albufeira marina OTOH is like a graveyard in winter but there's life in the town 20 min walk away. Stu will most likely be along to comment, he's based there.

Thanks Graham that's good to know. Whilst a graveyard doesn't sound very attractive, to me a posers paradise sounds even worse. It's starting to sound like it may be a choice between Lagos and Albufeira, although Lagos does seem quite a long way from Faro.

Heckler

Visit site
Thanks Graham that's good to know. Whilst a graveyard doesn't sound very attractive, to me a posers paradise sounds even worse. It's starting to sound like it may be a choice between Lagos and Albufeira, although Lagos does seem quite a long way from Faro.
I stayed in Bruces with Sandyman and Graham the first winter. Did much the same as you plan but got there August. Very expensive in marinas then! Albufeira are the cheapest for an annual deal. They do it from when you arrive, start the contract that is. They give an immediate discount of 15% if you are an RYA member, plus they dicker a bit more depending on how full they are. Quiet in the winter, bit of a walk in to town but not that bad. Lidl, Aldi, Dos Pingos supermkts, 20 mins walk, taxi back. Intermarche just up the hill. Hour and half by bus from Faro, about €13, I also use Yellow fish transfers €30 each way, 20 mins. Made lots of friends there. You could arrive, do some fannying around till Oct 1st when the lo season starts, do a deal for the winter OR until June OR an even better one in Bruces for the winter. Then splash and anchor for free in Feragudo opposite Portimao, or Culatra, or the Guadiana till October again. OR just do a yearly deal with Albufeira. It is as safe as houses in there, well sheltered etc. By the way, make sure you have all the bits on board that the Portuguese authorities specify, cheaper and easier here, as soon as you do a long term contract you are theoretically bound by Portugal rules!
Stu

Heckler

Visit site
Read your original again, Sept till May. Do a mix of marina and anchoring till the cheap winter period kicks in Oct 1st, then do a deal with the marina till May, cheapest one of them all, worth Joining RYA for the discount. Safe as can be, they check your boat, I had a call at home, alarm going off, I told them where the key was, they did the biz, made sure all was safe, I flew out, it was a CO monitor. But they were looking out! Only issue we have is that there is no laundry on site. The bogs are in the main accom buildings. 2 mins walk. I replaced one of our heads with a porta potti, it is our "holding tank" and handy if needed in a hurry!
S

White Angel

Visit site
I stayed in Bruces with Sandyman and Graham the first winter. Did much the same as you plan but got there August. Very expensive in marinas then! Albufeira are the cheapest for an annual deal. They do it from when you arrive, start the contract that is. They give an immediate discount of 15% if you are an RYA member, plus they dicker a bit more depending on how full they are. Quiet in the winter, bit of a walk in to town but not that bad. Lidl, Aldi, Dos Pingos supermkts, 20 mins walk, taxi back. Intermarche just up the hill. Hour and half by bus from Faro, about €13, I also use Yellow fish transfers €30 each way, 20 mins. Made lots of friends there. You could arrive, do some fannying around till Oct 1st when the lo season starts, do a deal for the winter OR until June OR an even better one in Bruces for the winter. Then splash and anchor for free in Feragudo opposite Portimao, or Culatra, or the Guadiana till October again. OR just do a yearly deal with Albufeira. It is as safe as houses in there, well sheltered etc. By the way, make sure you have all the bits on board that the Portuguese authorities specify, cheaper and easier here, as soon as you do a long term contract you are theoretically bound by Portugal rules!
Stu

Thanks Stu. I've checked the Albufeira website, and their 9 month deal starting say early to mid Sept looks really good to me. Your comments on security are very encouraging. I'm quite nervous about leaving the boat unattended overseas. The longest I've ever done it before was 2 weeks in Povoa do Varzim, and I was relieved to get back and find things ok. Lagos works out about 1000€ more for the period I'm looking at.

I have a cycle on board, so I think those local distances should be ok.

Heckler

Visit site
Thanks Stu. I've checked the Albufeira website, and their 9 month deal starting say early to mid Sept looks really good to me. Your comments on security are very encouraging. I'm quite nervous about leaving the boat unattended overseas. The longest I've ever done it before was 2 weeks in Povoa do Varzim, and I was relieved to get back and find things ok. Lagos works out about 1000€ more for the period I'm looking at.

I have a cycle on board, so I think those local distances should be ok.

Speaking to the other liveaboards there, they have to wait till Oct 1st to get the cheap deal, just check that one.
S

Cap'n Hubie

Swallowed the anchor in the Algarve, maybe!
Visit site
Hi All,

An update on Villa Real Marina, we have berthed our Moody there for 14 years now, love the marina, used to live aboard but preferred more space so moved into the hills in Spain.
We have never had any problems with rough weather (so far) and can confirm that the Yearly fees have not increased yet again at least for us.
Yes, the tide runs through the marina but no worse than any Solent Marina, e.g Hamble river, quite safe at slack water.
The marina has excellent security and helpful staff, however it has been full for the last few years as its such good value.

Best wishes

Hugh

White Angel

Visit site
Speaking to the other liveaboards there, they have to wait till Oct 1st to get the cheap deal, just check that one.
S

Thanks I will. I plan on visiting by car next week, so I'll ask. If push came to shove, I guess I could pay a couple of weeks at the high rate, then take the October rate.