Any mobile mechanics?

njc

Visit site
Does anyone know any mobile mechanics in the Hamble/Southampton area?

Or does anyone know about the following?

I started my Mercruiser engine after a 7 months lay up ashore. When the engine started, 30 seconds later a buzzer went off on the dash so I shut down. Cooling water was circulating OK, oil level OK and batteries were charging.

Any ideas? The steering belt was slipping a bit when I first started the engine, but it was a very wet day yesterday and I had the engine cover open.

Col

Visit site
If temp and oil pressure ok and no funny noises, I would try it again before calling someone out. It might just be having a funny 5 minutes as it has been stood for so long.

G

Contact Brian Holman of Solent Marine. He is based at Stone Pier on the Hamble. Ex Cougar race engineer and knows Mercrusiers inside out. The number is 01489 571447.

njc

Visit site
Thanks for the contacts. One mechanic told me as the boat is about 4 feet off the ground and the tap is at groung level the water pressure at the muffs may be insufficient. He suggested submerging the outdrive in a bin.

Does this sound feasible?

ArthurWood

Visit site
I'm surprised the alarm went off after only 30 sec if it was an overheat problem, but perhaps your Merc has a water pressure sensor. Did you check the temp and oil press gauges? Was the exhaust belching steam? Water flow would be the first place to look nevertheless.

Col

Visit site
Arthur, I'll think you will find these have exhaust temp sensors.The idea is that any water intake restriction will cause exhaust to heat up first, thus setting off alarm, before engine actually over heats.
Running off a hose can cause this situation.

ArthurWood

Visit site
Col - I was surprised that it only took 30 sec for the alarm to go off, especially as there was some water flow. It might be as you suggest that it's gone bit funny after standing for 7mo.
However on my other boat w/Merc I/O I recently started it, after 3 years standing, using muffs. It overheated but no alarm went off !!

Col

Visit site
The exhaust temp alarms are normally fitted to diesels with heat exchanger/freshwater (anti freeze) cooling system, I suspect yours were petrol-raw cooled.

ArthurWood

Visit site
Col - yes, mine is 4 cyl, 3.7l petrol, but w/FWC. Surprised me too, when I first bought the boat - my first boat - back in 1986. Problem I have now is that on startup antifreeze pours out from somewhere on the transom. I'm gradually getting around to fixing it - no hurry! We recently towed it down from Georgia where we used to live and where it has lain in storage for 3+ yr. It's still in good nick, and when I get it going properly we hope to do some trailering: explore Everglades, rivers etc. I wonder how long that will last as I hate reversing a trailer. I guess I need more practice.

njc

Visit site
The alarm went off before the water temp or oil temp gauges moved off the cold, so I stopped straight away. There appeared to be a enough cooling water circulating through with steam and hot water leaving the system, but maybe not enough for the alarm sensor?

My boat is raised a few feet off the ground and maybe the uphill hose with a low pressure tap is the problem (hopefully), so I will go down with a plastic bin and emerse the outdrive in that and see what happens.

I will let you know the results.

chippie

Visit site
Arthur, a tip I saw for people like me who hate backing trailers was to fit a towball to the front of the vehicle. Havent done it myself yet but thought it was a good idea.
How long since you had rain?

Cheers.

ArthurWood

Visit site
Chippie - I've seen trucks over here with that arrangement but the ball-hitch is on the end of a triangular frame which sticks up in the air when not in use. Wife wouldn't like that on her SUV!
Rain? What's that? We have fog here this morning at 7.30 and a very heavy dew but it's already (whisper) 21C going to 27 later. Bit of a bugger really as I have to work on my boat in the heat. One engine won't start. A bit of logical troubleshooting is called for, methinks.

Where are you in Aeteoroa(sp?)? We were down there about 5 years ago around this time of year - really loved it.

Actually we had some heavy rain a week ago, but we need it.

chippie

Visit site
Hi Arthur, Iam in The Far North (Kaitaia) . It is around 27 degrees here today, so I'll probably go for a swim a bit later on.
Where we are is a bit unusual as we are handy to two coasts. The west coast is the Tasman Sea and has mainly surf beaches, and the East coast which has most of the boating. The coast from Auckland North is a series of great cruising grounds starting with the Hauraki Gulf where the America's Cup was held , on up to the Bay of Islands and on up towards where I am.
On another matter entirely, is there any trick to getting a green card?, or did you go into the lottery and get lucky?
Your posts remind me of the Englishman who said he would fight for old England, and if neccessary die for old England, but by god, nobody could make him live there!;-)
Anyway have a nice day and keep posting.

Cheers

ArthurWood

Visit site
Re: Re Aotearoa

Sounds like a great place to live. We've been to Auckland, where everyone is reputed to own a boat, and around the S. Island. We were on cruise. In fact we are taking he same cruise ship around Cape Horn next month.
Green Card: not easy to get unless, like me, a US company(HP) "imported" me temporarily and later supported my application after we asked to stay on. Funnily enough, Auckland customs building carried the biggest HP sign I had ever seen.
Your description of an Englishman sums me up pretty well!
Land of the wrong white crowd sounds like the Japanese version:) Talk to you later.