Antifouling alternative, Coppercoat, Marine films like RENOLIT Dolphin S

Nina Lucia

Visit site
I was doing some research how to get our boat prepared for a new antifouling. I was also trying to work out cost of a Coppercoat and if we would really need an epoxy primer, or just a couple of extra coats of the Coppercoat- but then I came across RENOLIT Dolphin S, marine films from Renolit.
Do you have experiences regarding the cost and durability compared to the traditional antifoul and a Coppercoat?

gianenrico

Visit site
After the original 2006 CC application, two weeks ago I did a second CC hull treatment.
In 12 years I saved:
- stress&headaches to organize simultaneous two hassle free consecutive weekends, free boat place on hard, good weather.
- (350€ a.f. x year x 12 years= 4.200€) - 900€ CC cost = 3.300€.
- liftout costs for spring pressure cleaning/scrubbing not included as propeller greasing and anode change are anyway a yearly task.

Change? No thanks.

Hot Property

Visit site
I was doing some research how to get our boat prepared for a new antifouling. I was also trying to work out cost of a Coppercoat and if we would really need an epoxy primer, or just a couple of extra coats of the Coppercoat- but then I came across RENOLIT Dolphin S, marine films from Renolit.
Do you have experiences regarding the cost and durability compared to the traditional antifoul and a Coppercoat?

No experience of this system but this is the future in my view.

I'm considering applying Hemel Silic which uses the same principle, except it's a painted application rather than a film. For any boat that can do 20 knots it seems a no brainer.

The film you mention will self clean at 7 knots so more suited to sailing boats....

If I use this I will report back!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
The film you mention will self clean at 7 knots so more suited to sailing boats....
I looked at Hemel Silic as an attractive option then looked at the amount of time I spent doing greater than seven knots last summer (SOG not STW). About 5% of the time I was under way. The only conclusion that I could come to was it would not work for as as weekend and holiday sailors.

wipe_out

Visit site
We are considering Hempel Silic One as well.. I hadn't heard of RENOLIT Dolphin S so may look at that as well and see what information there is..

Nina Lucia

Visit site
Sounds good, I think we we will go for Coppercoat as well! Did you have epoxy primer under or extra coats of CC as coppercoat people advise? Thanks

Nina Lucia

Visit site
I have just received quotation from some "citrus fruit company":
Dolphin-S Foul Release film & Installation £7,105.43 plus travel and NO Warranties!!!
What can I say, I am not a lemon!
Definitely Coppercoat!

Nina Lucia

Visit site
After the original 2006 CC application, two weeks ago I did a second CC hull treatment.
In 12 years I saved:
- stress&headaches to organize simultaneous two hassle free consecutive weekends, free boat place on hard, good weather.
- (350€ a.f. x year x 12 years= 4.200€) - 900€ CC cost = 3.300€.
- liftout costs for spring pressure cleaning/scrubbing not included as propeller greasing and anode change are anyway a yearly task.

Change? No thanks.

Thanks again, sounds great

Nina Lucia

Visit site
Hempel Silic doesn't need much preparation, and its cheaper than coppercoat. I couldn't find much informations about yet.

Hot Property

Visit site
Hempel Silic doesn't need much preparation, and its cheaper than coppercoat. I couldn't find much informations about yet.

For my 7 metre sports cruiser I estimate the material costs at around £250. This is for the 2 pack basecoat, tie coat then topcoat of Silic one. In future years I can just repaint with Silic one. Having a "slippery bottom" seems better than leaching out biocides to me!

wipe_out

Visit site
May I ask what boat you are considering applying Silic one to please?

We have a (new to us) Hunter 326.. I get we won't achieve the full 7kn for it to be "self cleaning" but from the videos I have seen and the information I have been able to find online the build up shouldn't be too bad and should be easily wiped off.. Considering the growth we have had on previous boats with various anti foul brands it certainly can't perform worse than they did and cleaning was a much tougher job than a wipe with a sponge involving pressure washers and scrapers..