Antifouling (again)

penultimate

Visit site
My boat is on a swinging mooring in an area of heavy fouling (slime and barnacles) in the R. Tamar. I have tried top quality erodables from International and Blakes, self polishing (Jotun Nonstop), and copper; and I have tried applying extra thick coatings. Much the cheapest (but least effective) was Teamac (cruiser strength). The copper lasted 4 years instead of the expected 10. The performance of all the others was indifferent. With the exception of the copper I usually antifoul between tides.
In anticipation of 2005 I now find that Jotun Nonstop (expensive but relatively the best to date) is no longer legal in the UK but is still available in Europe. Why is this?
Also I note that Plastimo 1.2 (YM's Award of Excellence 2001) is sold with different product codes in the UK and Europe. Does this reflect a different product?
I even went to France last week but was unable to find any antifoulings at less than extortionate prices.

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardabeattie

Visit site
If you have bilge keels don't antifoul at all! Just dry out from time to time and spend ten minutes with the back edge of a broom. Cheaper, quicker.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bige

Visit site
i used micron xtra every year on the river exe although excpensive i x 2.5 ltr did my 25 footer each year with a power wash off in october when she came ashore and she was ready for a new coat in march with no hard work

ian

<hr width=100% size=1>

FullCircle

Visit site
I have used Coopers in the Crouch this year and am happy with the result. That was 50 quid for 5 litres - enough to do the boat again next year.

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1>Really looking forward to the cheapo nasty Jeanneau 35 in March.

ships_parrot

Visit site
I used some stuff from a Navy surplus place over in Devonport last year after a truly awful experience the year before with an expensive brand (it looked like a haystack when it came out). So far so good, and it was around £20 a 2.5L tin, came in red or red, but they had some other black stuff too. Getting the usual slime, but that's all. I've only had one cursory scrub off since April by going over the side while at anchor.

Hope that's of some help.
Robin

<hr width=100% size=1>

penultimate

Visit site
Would be interested to know Robin your source of Naval Surplus. So far no one has answered the quaestion of different formulations available in Europe and the UK; but curently I'm favouring Richard's suggestion of not anti-fouling at all but scrubbing off and then anti-fouling in May (after the peak barnacle breeding season). In the absence of a better alternative may use Teamac Killa Copper (£39.25 at Trago), or Teamac Tropical (£22.25)

<hr width=100% size=1>

ships_parrot

Visit site
Knights Surplus Stores
253, James St, Mutton Cove, Devonport, Plymouth, Devon PL1 4LB
Tel: 01752 562705

They're right by the waters edge at the start of the new bit of the quays they've spruced up near to a small dock with a car park to one side. Right next to the wall of the Naval dockyard. Unless you know the area I'd multimap it first..

Robin.

<hr width=100% size=1>