AntiFoul

G

Can anyone tell me how i identify if my boat (Explorer 500) has been antifouled. The boat was built in 1999, i have tried to contact the previous owner with very little success! What are the pitfalls of mooring this craft without the hull being antifouled

Thanks all for any replies

Mike - Plymouth

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mickristy on Sat Feb 16 19:19:35 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

If you leave your boat afloat without antifoul then it will get covered in seaweed and slime and other little sea animals before long. I think you will be able to tell if there was previously antifoul there by rubbing it, antifouling paint seems to rub off quite easily. If in doubt you could always apply a new coat, but some antifoulings are not compatible with others, and if you don't know what was there first, you may need a primer.

If your boat was commissioned by a boatyard, and was intended to be kept afloat by the first owner then it will most likely have been antifouled

G

If the bottom of the boat has been painted it is likely to be antifoul. If you moor the boat in salt water without antifoul you will end up with a veritable rug of weed and bares covering the bottom of the boat with obvious speed and fuel implications.

Even if the boat is antifouled it will need reantifouling every year unless it was originally done with Copperbot.

Regards,

Peter
http://www.mistressofmourne.com